Please see our homepage at www.fsnhp.msstate.edu.
Area of Specialization:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
1. Monitors revenue and expenses for the FSI departmental or unit/child accounts; ensures expenditure control and compliance with funding and reporting requirements, university policy, and standard accounting procedures.
2. Constructs routine spreadsheet applications, prepares financial data, and generates reports.
3. Coordinates the preparation of regularly scheduled FSI reports, analyses, studies, and financial information for local, state, federal, and private funding sources.
4. Reviews expenditure, personnel, and purchasing documents for availability of funding, mathematical correctness, and compliance with university policy and state and federal funding requirements.
5. Analyzes, reconciles, balances, and maintains accounting records; assists with budget development and special financial reports.
6. Prepares, reviews, and processes budget, revenue, expense, payroll, and related entries.
7. Assists in the preparation of project review and reports, and organization of research conferences among scientists supported by the Center.
8. Assists in development of training materials, presentations, and manuals.
9. Assists with the food industries and USDA-ARS scientists to build cooperative research and outreach programs to enhance food safety programs.
10. May supervise and/or lead student employees.
11. Performs miscellaneous accounting and administrative duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or in a related field.
- Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations, and university financial policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of university accounting procedures involving procurement, travel, and/or employment
- Knowledge of CALS and MAFES funding.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel and Word specifically)
- Knowledge of Banner Human Resources and Finance modules.
- Experience with developing database queries.
- Knowledge of contracts and grants accounting.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of standard and/or fund accounting principles, methods, and applications.
- Ability to effectively communicate accounting information, policies, and/or procedures in a manner easily understood by the customer.
- Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications.
- Account balancing and reconciling skills.
- Ability to set up and maintain financial accounts and ledgers
- Spreadsheet software skills to quantify and illustrate routine financial reports, statements, and/or projections.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Knowledge of finance , accounting, budgeting, and cost control procedures
- Ability to supervise and train assigned staff.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and/or projections.
- Demonstrate capabilities in communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrate organizational skills.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online at www.explore.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter and resume. Please include references.
Contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.