Job no: 495361
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 013200 - Delta Research and Extension Center
Location: Stoneville, MS
Categories: Support Staff
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
This position is located at the Delta Research and Extension Center in Stoneville, MS.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assisting professors, researchers, and/or students with various activities involving an array of rice breeding and genetics research, from performing crosses to multilocation yield evaluation;
2. Processing rice panicles, weighing and preparing seed for planting, and processing grain samples for quality analysis, tissue samples for genetic analysis, and soil samples for greenhouse use;
3. Assisting in collecting and recording field, greenhouse and laboratory data;
4. Assisting with land preparation, planting, cultivating, fertilizing, spraying, and harvesting of rice in the field and greenhouse;
5. Operating farm, greenhouse, seed processing and/or laboratory equipment;
6. Performing general maintenance work and maintaining cleanliness of assigned workspaces;
7. Cleaning and servicing of assigned project vehicles and equipment;
8. Assisting in tracking of supplies inventory and procuring farm and office supplies and materials; and
9. Performing other duties that may be assigned from time to time by the immediate supervisor.
Education: High School diploma
Experience (yrs.): None
Licenses: Must have valid driver’s license
Post-secondary education with focus in agriculture and life-science related disciplines preferred. At least 1 year experience in rice research preferred. Familiarity with field, greenhouse, and/or laboratory operations and equipment maintenance desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability and willingness to assist in the operation of farm equipment including plot seeders, tractors, and harvesting combines. Basic computer skills required. Mississippi Driver’s license a must. Attention to detail and ability to carry out activities as directed. Ability to work with a team essential. Willing to work occasionally beyond normal working hours and on holidays/weekends during the rice growing season.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Ability to work in extreme weather conditions.
Involves working in the field, laboratory and greenhouse. Individual must have no known allergic reactions to plant substances, dust and pesticides. Ability to work under extreme weather conditions and in muddy rice-growing environments required. Physical ability to lift up to 50 lbs. Good hand and eye coordination and dexterity essential.
Contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend