Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Maintains university grounds using edger, blower, trimmer, mower, and other equipment.
2. Installs landscaping and related items on university grounds.
3. Mow grass, mulch leaves, clean-up grounds and verify designated areas of campus.
4. Assists with appropriate pest control (non-herbicide use) for lawn and landscaping.
5. Maintains equipment such as hand tools; power equipment, including chain saws, edger, weed eaters, push and/or riding mowers, backhoes, tractor etc. May procure supplies, parts, and tools as needed.
6. Responsible for care and routine maintenance of equipment.
7. Operate and make minor adjustments to mowers.
8. May perform special projects related to various aspects of Facilities Management as assigned by supervisor.
9. Perform related duties as assigned.
Ability to read and write plus 3-5 years experience. Experience must include experience at the preceding level or equivalent.
Some reading and writing.
Experience in landscape operations.
Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
Valid driver's license may be required for specific positions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Duties require basic or advanced physical and mental skills and abilities, including equipment and use of hand tools, power tools, heavy machinery or other equipment and use of basic or intermediate math, reading or writing skills.
Follows detailed instructions and procedures. May work under limited supervision, and prioritize tasks independently.
Abilities to read and write plus 3-5 years. Experience must include at least 3-5 years at the preceding level or equivalent.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Occasional-Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, climbing or balancing, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Submit application and any requested documents online.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.