Dir, English Language Institute
Job no: 495721
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 113300 - International Education
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruits and retains high quality students to matriculate into MSU.
- Assures the safety, well-being, and education of all the ELI’s international students, serving as the academic advisor and emergency contact.
- Serves as coordinator for all curricular and program needs for the ELI’s eight levels, such course objectives & guidelines, textbook selection, evaluations, scheduling of classes & labs, curriculum trends, noncredit tuition rates, academic calendars, and marketing.
- Facilitates the orientation and placement of all ESL students, including testing, services, immigration requirements, and academic advising of all ESL students.
- Supervises ELI’s staff and hire & train teachers for ESL curriculum and courses, which rotates on a quarter system and involves quarterly class evaluations, monthly grade reports, and teacher curriculum evaluations.
- Serves as the campus contact and advisor for departments and MSU students taking ESL classes, including acting as advisor to undergraduate & graduate students taking ESL courses, knowing MSU’s language requirements, testing international graduate students, coordinating class observations, and serving as a resource for departments.
- Serves as Designated School Official (DSO)/immigration advisor for the ELI, as the Center is listed as a separate campus according to the Student Exchange and Visitor Program.
- Coordinates, develops, and budget short-term language programs.
- Oversees and/or facilitates cultural, service, and outreach events for students, including Conversation Partners, Conversation Connections, day & weekend trips, and other cultural opportunities for international students.
- Develops and manages ELI recruiting and pathways, English for Academic Purposes or other ESL-based training, short-term programming
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Master’s degree in English, TESOL, Linguistics, Language or related field
~ AND ~
3-5 years related experience
Ph.D. degree or equivalent experience
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of achieving or maintaining ESL accreditation
- Knowledge of curriculum development, training and supervising ESL faculty
- Ability to recruit a diverse student population through creative uses of ESL programming
- Strong Interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Skill in the use of computers, preferably in a PC, Windows-based operating environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Program planning and implementation skills.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
- Frequent external imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
- Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
Position contingent upon the availability of funding.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter, resume, and the complete contact information for at least three professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend