Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Serve as the primary communications contact for the softball team.
a. Prepare, maintain and distribute media information and other publicity for softball during the fall and spring.
b. Produce or assist with the production of content for the athletic department website, particularly as it relates to softball.
c. Manage, create and strategize creative digital content for department’s social media channels related to softball.
d. Serve as team spokesperson.
e. Travel with the team to cover events.
f. Supervise softball press box for all home games.
g. Strategically communicate to manage the program’s national brand.
h. Work closely with the SEC Network and other television partners.
2. Serve as a secondary contact for the football team.
a. Assist the Associate Athletic Director/Communications in the day-to-day management of publicity for the football team.
b. Coordinate local, state and national media interviews with football student-athletes.
c. Travel with the team to cover events.
d. Prepare, maintain and distribute media information and other publicity for football throughout the year.
e. Assist the Assistant Director of Communications in managing and creating social media content as it relates to football.
f. Strategically communicate to manage the program’s national brand.
g. Work closely with the SEC Network and other television partners.
3. Establish and maintain relationships with appropriate local, state and national media representatives. Work to develop positive relations with the local community and area businesses.
4. Complete other departmental tasks as assigned by the Associate Athletic Director/Communications.
Bachelor's degree in Public Relations, Communication, Journalism; two (2) years of full time experience in media relations, athletic communications, preferably as a football or softball contact.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Ability to travel with the team.
2. Ability to work long hours, including nights and weekends.
3. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
4. Knowledge of media, media relations concepts and principles, print and electronic media outlets, accurate writing skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Job frequently requires walking, standing, lifting, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing and handling objects with hands.
Instructions for Applying:
Attach Resume, cover letter and list of three (3) references with phone numbers and email addresses.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.