Sample Receiving Technician
Job no: 495985
Position type: Part-Time 12-Month, Time-Limited
Department: 183900 - CVM Pathobiology/Population Med Dep
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Categories: Support Staff
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assume primary responsibility for daily operations of Sample Receiving Area; all aspects of paperwork should be completed within appropriate time frames.
- Act as primary liaison for CVM when working with outpatient client submissions.
- Receive and process samples, initiate appropriate paperwork and distribute sample(s) to proper laboratory box/area, completing all paperwork and distribution of specimens within one hour of receipt.
- Perform and log quality control and equipment maintenance daily.
- Train new and fill in personnel in Sample Receiving and provide them with a manual for reference.
- Assist in scheduling of employees in Sample Receiving to ensure that coverage is provided continuously from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. daily during the week.
- Assist supervisor in revising SOPs as required.
- Maintain inventory control in Sample Receiving, providing a written request to the DLS lab manager at least two weeks prior to depletion of any supply.
- Maintain an orderly, organized work area; clean counter tops and biological hood daily with antibacterial cleaner to maintain safe working environment while working with possible biological hazards.
- Assume secondary responsibility for daily operations of Sample Reporting Area; completing all aspects of paperwork within specified time frame.
- Cross train in necropsy; assist with necropsy technician duties as requested; provide backup for necropsy technician as scheduled.
- Assist pathologist(s), clinicians, clients, students, supervisor(s), and DLS manager, as needed.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Associates degree in medical laboratory or related field and two years related experience
Four years of secretarial or clerical experience, two of which must have been in a medical environment
Any equivalent combination of experience, education and/or training approved by Human Resources Management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Applicant must have a valid driver license
Applicant must be able to lift over 40 pounds
Applicant must have good telephone etiquette
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Exposure to biological hazards such as tissues in formalin, body fluid samples, animal carcasses in whole or part, high traffic area; moderate to heavy lifting (>50 pounds).
Instructions for Applying:
Submit application and any requested documents online.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend