We have a dynamic program, with an energetic and productive research and teaching faculty experienced in training high-achieving undergraduate and graduate students. The department offers a BA in Foreign Languages with concentrations in Classics, French, German, and Spanish; an International Business Program (a joint BA in Foreign Languages and Business Administration); and, an MA in Foreign Languages, with areas of study in French, German, and Spanish. Other languages offered are Chinese, Italian, Japanese, and Russian; and, the Department has several study abroad program options for students. Faculty have affiliations with the Shackouls Honors College, the Humanities Institute, and Gender Studies.
Area of Specialization:
Anticipated Appointment Date:
August 16, 2018
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach assigned masters level and undergraduate Spanish courses (language, literature, culture) and language pedagogy in all modes of delivery.
- Recruit, advise and mentor graduate and undergraduate students; promote the department’s graduate programs and help recruit cohorts.
- Participate in department, college, university, professional, and/or community service activities.
- Publish research and present professional papers in reputable venues.
- Consult, advise, and interact with faculty, staff and students to facilitate integrating technology into courses and curriculum; instruct and assist students and faculty in the effective design and use of specialized language-instruction equipment, technology, and systems that serve the diverse needs and abilities of all learners.
- Identify and evaluate pedagogical resources, obtaining information relevant to technology-based and technology-enhanced instructional projects, and consult with faculty/staff/students to plan and implement projects.
- Serve as a liaison with other skilled specialists, faculty, and students, both within and outside the department to support collaborative projects, and recognize, recommend, and facilitate connections with campus technology centers.
- Assist with collection and analysis of data directed toward program effectiveness and improvement.
Ph.D or equivalent in either Spanish, Spanish education, or related field.
A demonstrated record of both scholarly publications and professional achievements, or clear promise thereof.
Documented record of success in teaching - both in face-to-face and online environments -- undergraduate-level Spanish courses with a focus on proficiency-based instruction of language and culture.
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
- Experience in both teacher training and teaching graduate online courses.
- Willingness to evaluate and adopt emerging pedagogies and technologies relevant to instruction in both digital and conventional contexts.
- Ability to identify resources and build relationships between departments and units to use those resources in efficient ways.
- Willingness to develop new technical skills and competencies (e.g. in the digital humanities).
- Professional preparation in using an array of instructional technologies including hardware and software, multimedia technologies, online tools and learning systems, and/or distributed/distance learning techniques supporting the learning and teaching of Spanish; the ability to effectively integrate technology into the ‘classroom’ (however defined).
- Demonstrated ability to design, develop, and deliver distance courses in synchronous and asynchronous modes.
- Experience effectively using multimedia modes of instruction via distance learning technologies and tools.
- Expertise in the educational theories, technologies, and methods associated with instructional technology; and knowledgeable in the development and applications of these over time.
- Experience in collaborating with faculty to integrate technology into appropriate instructional activities; experience in collaborating with IT experts concerning software and hardware needs to enhance instruction.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; ability to work in a team and establish collegial relationships with faculty and staff. Ability to take initiative in networking with multiple colleges, departments, and units. A commitment to rigorous scholarship and diverse analytic perspectives on learning, development, and technology.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attaching a cover letter, statement of teaching philosophy, sample syllabi for courses, and curriculum vitae that includes the complete contact information for at least three professional references. Note: original transcripts for all degrees will be required upon employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.