Animal Health Technician
Job no: 496233
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 184000 - CVM Clinical Science Department
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Categories: Support Staff
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Instruct, evaluate, and assist professional veterinary students and animal health technicians on technical health care procedures.
- Schedule diagnostic procedures and the use of diagnostic equipment.
- Set-up, clean, and maintain specialized diagnostic equipment and animal treatment areas.
- Perform or assist with diagnostic procedures.
- Perform routine laboratory tests as needed.
- Supervise or administer anesthesia during diagnostic or therapeutic procedures. Initiate emergency resuscitation and treatments.
- Monitor the condition of animals in ordinary and special care units; notify appropriate personnel of change in health status.
- Operate and maintain a variety of clinical equipment.
- Responsible for maintaining fresh blood supply in blood bank; maintain donor log book.
- Assist in research studies.
- Restrain, move, and handle animals. Instruct others on proper animal handling techniques, vaccination protocols, and treatment schedules.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Completion of an approved Animal Health Technology program.
- Ability to work with and handle either large or small animals depending on the specific area of assignment.
- Ability to lift, stoop, and bend in order to move animals as needed and maintain equipment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelors degree in animal science or related field. Prior work experience.
- Two years related work experience
- Certification as a Veterinary Technician
- Excellent telephone and email communication skills, especially related to client service.
- Ability to use Word, Excel, Email programs; ability to learn and use hospital management software.
- Ability to lift, stoop, and bend; ability to lift 40 pounds; ability to handle, load, restrain, and work with large and companion animals.
- Ability to walk and stand on feet for prolonged periods of time.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu. Please include resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend