Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
The Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems (CAVS) at Mississippi State University is an interdisciplinary center comprised of research, engineering design & development, and technology transfer teams for industry and government partners. Our overall effort is focused on developing superior computational, engineering, manufacturing, design, and information technologies relevant to Mississippi and regional industries. This is accomplished by bringing to bear world-class technologist and technologies to solve complex problems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Perform engineering research support and data analysis.
The position will have a strong emphasis on computational science and engineering research as related to one of several areas robotics, powertrain engineering, manufacturing, human factors, materials engineering, fluid dynamics, electronics, and engines.
Plays a role in the development and implementation of new and/or expanded technical capabilities that will impact future research projects.
Tasks include developing and executing computational analysis for a variety of applications and sponsors.
Develop and enhance relationships with federal, state, local and private partners to the fullest extent possible, forming collaboration and coordinating relationships resulting in research and development activities.
Contribute to the development of personal and sponsored research results in scholarly publications.
Pursue scholarly and professional interests which will keep his/her expertise at the leading edge of engineering practice through continuing professional duties.
The applicant must hold a BS in Engineering or Computer Science. The applicant must also possess excellent communication skills. Level of appointment (Research I,II,III, or Senor) is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Research Engineer I - B.S. in engineering or computer science; Less than one year in a related area.
Research Engineer II - B.S. in engineering or computer science; Two years of professional experience in a related area; Requires two years at previous level or equivalent.
Research Engineer III - B.S. in engineering or computer science; Four years of professional experience in a related area; Requires two years at previous level or equivalent.
Senior Research Engineer - B.S. in engineering or computer science; Six years or more years of professional experience in a related area; Requires two years at previous level or equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knows and effectively uses the fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of a particular field of specialization.
2. Continues development of technical expertise and knowledge through experience and application.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
- Frequent- External imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
- Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
- Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print
Position contingent upon availability of funding
Instructions for Applying:
Complete professional application and attach a resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.