Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Job duties include meeting the basic needs of Food Animal Service patients, assisting with the medical diagnosis and treatment of patients, and performing routine husbandry in a veterinary teaching hospital. This position will be required to work closely with faculty, staff, and students to fulfill the goals of patient care, client service, and the education of students in professional Doctor of Veterinary Medicine and Bachelor of Science Veterinary Medical Technology programs.
Support of the section requires this position to perform the following duties:
- Cleaning of exam rooms and equipment
- Stocking supplies
- Feeding and watering animals / documenting food and water consumption
- Cleaning stalls / documenting fecal and urinary output
- Assist in restraining animals for examinations and medical procedures
- Scheduling of student workers and assigning tasks to them as required by the service
- Supervise and assist with loading/unloading of animals from stock trailers
- Monitoring intravenous fluid administration and other treatments
High School diploma or equivalent with four (4) years experience caring for animals in a dairy, veterinary clinic, research institution, or related environment. The successful applicant should possess experience in the care and husbandry of food animals.
Certification as a Lab Animal Technician by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science with two years experience caring for animals in a dairy, veterinary clinic, research institution, or related environment.
Bachelor's degree in Animal or Biological Science or related field with no experience.
- Bachelors degree in animal science or related field.
- Two Years Related Work Experience
- Certification as a Veterinary Technician
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience working with food animals in a veterinary setting (ambulatory or hospital).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent telephone and email communication skills, especially related to client service
- Ability to use Word, Excel, Email programs
- Ability to learn and use hospital management software
- Ability to lift, stoop and bend
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds
- Ability to handle, load, restrain, and work with large and companion animals
- Ability to walk and stand on feet for prolonged periods of time
- Must possess a valid driver's license
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Ability to work with flexible schedule.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.