Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1) Responsible for the general supervision of staff personnel and management of the research station and its operations.
2) Responsible for coordinating work with research scientists which includes planning of research activities, assignments of land, greenhouse space, lab space and other resources.
3) In cooperation with scientists, assign and supervise personnel to implement research protocols as well as general farm production activities.
4) Delegate responsibilities and promote communication among staff.
5) Responsible for property, maintenance of buildings, equipment, tools and monitoring of non-research fiscal spending.
6) Keep a safe work environment. Train staff on safety, regulation compliance, pesticide storage and handling and how to keep records.
7) Through vegetable and fruit sales, meet or exceed the annual sales budget.
8) Performs other duties as assigned by the Center Head.
B.S. Degree in Plant and Soil Science or related field. Must have a valid driver’s license. Must have experience driving tractors and other farm related equipment.
Two years of experience in vegetable and fruit production, greenhouse operations, landscape management and farm labor management. A master’s degree in an agricultural science is also preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to see information in print and electronically
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Exposure to the elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc., but none to the point of being disagreeable. May involve minor safety hazards where likely result would be cuts, bruises, etc. Job occasionally requires lifting more than 100 pounds.
Externally imposed deadlines: set or revised on short notice; frequent shifts in priority; numerous interruptions requiring immediate attention; unusual pressure on a daily basis due to accountability for success for major projects or areas of operation.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, sitting, reaching, climbing, or balancing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online and attach a cover letter, resume, academic transcripts and names and contact information for three professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.