Job no: 496419
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month, Time-Limited
Department: 182000 - CVM Basic Science Department
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Research Scientist I - 15/$47,200
Research Scientist II - 16/$56,900
Research Scientist III - 17/$68,600
Senior Research Scientist - 18/$79,900
Area of Specialization:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops advanced scientific research projects.
- Designs, develops and tests new equipment, instruments, reagents, and/or experimental protocols for research (including hardware, software, statistical methods, etc.).
- Researches and stays current with project related scientific literature.
- Sets up new methods or assays to accomplish scientific objectives.
- Identifies and implements creative solutions to overcome problems
- Organizes, interprets data, and derives study conclusions.
- May manage and train research staff to achieve research goals.
- Collaborates with internal and external investigators on multiple research projects ensuring scientific significance and feasibility.
- Summarizes results of studies in the form of scientific abstracts and manuscripts.
- Serves as a resource to provide scientific information needed for various initiatives.
- Contributes to teaching activities by preparing and presenting educational seminars.
- Assists with grant/contract preparation by researching background, significance, and planning statistics.
- Attends national conferences and presents results of scientific studies.
- Participates in professional societies and conferences appropriate to the incumbent’s specific field/discipline.
Note: Additional duties and responsibilities may be assigned that are project and/or discipline specific
This candidate shall have a Ph.D. degree in Glycobiology, Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, or related field. Prior experience in glycomics, proteomics, and hands-on experience in mass spectrometry and HPLC is the minimum.
Rank Education Experience:
Research Scientist I - Ph.D. Generally within three years after receiving their Ph.D. and with limited scientific research experience.
Research Scientist II - Ph.D. Three to seven years of relevant experience beyond the Ph.D. level and with very significant professional accomplishments
Research Scientist III - Ph.D. More than seven years of relevant experience beyond the Ph.D. and with extremely significant professional accomplishments
Senior Research Scientist - Ph.D. Individuals well beyond the Ph.D. that have demonstrated outstanding sustained, and extraordinary professional accomplishments as well as professional leadership
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knows and effectively uses the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of glycoproteomics..
- Ability to organize, interpret data, and derive study conclusions.
- Has established scientific expertise.
- Possesses and applies a comprehensive knowledge of glycoproteomics in the completion of complex assignments.
- Ability to advance state-of-the-art scientific research in field of glycoproteomics.
- Recognized as a national or international authority
- Ability to apply extensive and advanced principles, theories, and concepts.
- Ability to contribute to the development of solutions to complex problems that require innovation and ingenuity.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and written.
- Project management skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Occasional and/or light lifting required. Limited exposure to elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, etc., but none to the degree of being disagreeable. May involve minor safety hazards where the likely result would be cuts, bruises, etc.
- Routine deadlines, usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressure from persons other than immediate supervisor.
- Job frequently requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing.
- Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically, ability to distinguish colors.
This is a time-limited position, contingent upon the availability of funding.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu. Applicants should send curriculum vitae and the contact details of three references to Dr. Henry Wan by email@example.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend