Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
18/ Minimum 79,700
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center (NSPARC) conducts research and creates customized solutions in areas of economic, workforce, business, and community development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide leadership and enterprise-level consulting within the Center on the design, development and implementation of artificial intelligence and machine learning concepts, databases, logical data models, linkages between datasets, classification schemas, data architecture, data integrity, big data transformation, enterprise data development and architecture, and technical product management.
2. Provide leadership, management, operational oversight and support in planning, designing, and implementing complex grant- and contract-based research projects in relation to the creation and delivery of algorithms, toolsets and workflows to enhance data products and business solutions and define data frameworks and data modelling techniques for core Center data applicable to research projects.
3. Collaborate closely with other assistant directors in the development of proposals and research plans including methodologies, estimates of effort, deliverables/milestones, timelines, and statements of work as they relate to data science and data management and effectively lead team members in the development of creative solutions for designing, implementing, and supporting a variety of user data systems and tools.
4. Provide scientific and technical leadership and expertise and be able to actively contribute to data management and analysis activities across units within the Center in the creation of an eco-system of tools, applications and processes to support funded grant and contract research activities while demonstrating strong analytical skills and experience with distributed platforms, engines and tools, data modelling, predictive modelling, and machine learning.
5. Provide general oversight of the data function within the Center from an overall information management perspective and communicate regularly with executive management on all aspects of data science and management within the center including leadership and management of teams responsible for clean room processes and procedures, providing guidance for strategic direction related to the Center's ability to build high-performance big data capabilities leveraging artificial intelligence and machine learning, as well as coordination horizontally and vertically within the organization to facilitate the execution of approved strategies.
6. Actively participate in center strategic planning activities and direct the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards for the data science, information management, and database functions in the Center and working to develop, evaluate, enhance, and/or implement quality improvement practices, processes, and procedures for conduction grant- and contract-based research.
7. Supervise and effectively coach, mentor and motivate professional and technical staff, faculty, and graduate students directly or through subordinate supervisors to ensure the information management and database functions of the Center operate smoothly and are fully integrated and robust, monitor completed work to ensure soundness of approach and adherence to appropriate guidelines, requirements, and policies and evaluate performance for direct reports and make recommendations for personnel actions.
8. Serve as an expert resource and thought leader to advise on best practices across the data spectrum, actively contribute to planning for further development and monitor and interpret changes in policies and regulations related to the technical architecture of complex data frameworks, and the engineering of a continuous design, development, and testing lifecycle for data-driven solutions to practical problems within the center and evaluate the impact of existing processes, procedures and policies upon center activities to effectively develop and draft changes as required and ensure implementation after approval.
9. Travel to meetings within and outside the state with occasional overnight travel.
10. Performs related duties as assigned.
• Master’s Degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, Management Information Systems, Mathematics, Statistics, or related field
• Five years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities listed above
• No education or experience substitutions allowed.
In addition to the minimum qualifications:
o Five plus years of experience in an administration role at the manager or executive level
o Familiarity with federal grant requirements, especially financial and regulatory compliance
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Strong interpersonal, communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
• Ability to supervise and train staff including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments
• Knowledge and understanding of business management principles and practices.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
• No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility
• Frequent external imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants should complete online application at www.jobs.msstate.edu and upload a cover letter and current resume. Applicants should also submit two letters of recommendation (mailed by writers under separate cover), an official transcript for terminal degree and terminal diploma (provide English translation if necessary).
Address all supporting materials and reference letters to:
Chair, Associate Director, Information Management and Database Administration Selection Committee
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center
P.O. Box 6027
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Please email all queries to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.