Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center (NSPARC) conducts research and creates customized solutions in areas of economic, workforce, business, and community development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Design and implement a complete data solution architecture to support large software application projects. This includes the entire spectrum of database solution architecture: data import, data cleansing, data transformation, data model design, information technology (IT) server infrastructure implementation, high-availability database setup, maintenance, and performance tuning.
2. Make recommendations and or choose the best database or storage infrastructure for a particular project and be able to work with IT project managers, research program managers, and project software developers to ensure that the software architecture and the data architecture are compatible.
3. Install, configure, and secure standalone, or clusters of, database servers for production use.
4. Design and implement automated backup plans for various production databases, and establish database restoration strategies and be able to restore databases to full functionality in the event of hardware failure, or natural disaster.
5. Minimize database downtime, monitor database performance, and troubleshoot and tune queries to optimize application performance and reduce slow response times.
6. Analyze and comprehend federal reporting guidelines and develop automated procedures to extract the data from database systems and export said data to appropriately formatted text files for uploading to federal reporting systems.
7. Determine, enforce, and document database policies, procedures and standards.
8. Regularly perform tests and evaluations to ensure data security, privacy and integrity.
9. Apply new patches and upgrades to database servers when required.
10. Work closely with application developers and research team members to design schemas that meet business rules of applications and data needs of research projects and ensure data models can evolve and change as business needs change without disrupting application performance and availability.
11. Provide proactive and reactive data management support to customers as needed.
12. Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Business Information Systems, Industrial Engineering, or a related field and three years of experience with managing a production database environment in either MySQL or SQL Server.
• Strong communication and organizational skills;
• Strong problem-solving, analytical, and troubleshooting skills;
• The ability to work with tight deadlines and under pressure;
• The ability to create and maintain strong working relationships with colleagues and customers;
• Ability to work in a team environment;
• Strong database infrastructure design skills;
• Strong SQL skills;
• 3-5 years of managing a production database environment in either MySQL or SQL Server.
• The ability and willingness to adapt to changing business requirements.
• Must be comfortable working with both Windows and Linux operating systems.
• Business awareness and understanding of business requirements of IT;
• A willingness to keep up to date with developments in new technology;
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• No or very limited physical effort required.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants should complete online application and upload a cover letter and current resume. Applicants should also submit two letters of recommendation (mailed by writers under separate cover), an official transcript for terminal degree and terminal diploma (provide English translation if necessary).
Address all supporting materials and reference letters to:
Chair, Data Architect Selection Committee
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center
P.O. Box 6027
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Please email all queries to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.