Area of Specialization:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists in planning, coordinating, and supervising all activities related to the gardens.
2. Maintaining shrubs, trees, ground covers, flowers, and turfgrasses in the gardens.
3. Assists in planning, selecting, ordering, and planting plants for the gardens.
4. Mapping and labeling plants, maintaining records on the gardens.
5. Assists in developing and implementing proper fertilization and irrigation programs and integrated pest and diseases management programs for various types of plants in the gardens.
6. Train and supervise student workers and other employees in the proper methods and techniques of planting, pruning, and general maintenance of the gardens.
7. Assists in implementing research projects and maintaining research plots, taking research data, analyzing data, and assist in preparing publications.
8. Maintaining inventory, maintaining and upkeeping equipment, irrigation system, and chemical storage.
9. Assists in hosting tour groups, field days, and other outreach efforts.
10. Performs related duties as required.
Rank and salary will be commensurate with the education and/or experience of the candidate.
B.S. degree required in horticulture, landscape architecture, or closely related field. The successful candidate possess knowledge in ornamental plant materials and principles of landscaping; knowledge in plant selection, soil conditions, plant water and nutrient requirements, plant diseases and insects, plant pruning and weeding; excellent communication, organizational, and problem-solving skills; the ability to work as part of a team and work collaboratively and cooperatively with other colleagues; the ability to manage multiple projects and activities. A Mississippi pesticide applicator’s license must be obtained within 60 days occupying position. Valid driver’s license is required.
M.S. degree is preferred in horticulture, landscape architecture or closely related field. Experience in proper application of pesticides and operation of general garden and farm equipment and machinery is highly desired. Demonstration of leadership and supervisory skills is preferred.
Instructions for Applying:
Application must include:
1) a letter of application summarizing the applicant’s qualifications and interests
2) a complete curriculum vitae
3) college transcripts
4) names, addresses, e-mails, and phone numbers of 3 references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.