Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Analyzes and reviews budgets and expenditures for local, state, federal, and private funding, contracts, and grants ensuring compliance with fiscal accountability and reporting and funding requirements.
2. Monitors and reviews accounting and related system reports for accuracy and completeness; prepares and reviews budget, revenue, expense, invoices, and other accounting transactions.
3. Analyzes revenue and expenditure trends, recommends appropriate budget levels, and ensures expenditure control.
4. Advises and interprets policies to faculty, staff, and outside persons such as vendors, and funding source representatives; explains billings and reports, and resolves related problems.
5. Develops accounting applications; oversees the input and handling of financial data and reports for the institution's finance and human resources systems.
6. May participate in auditing projects, as appropriate to individual operating needs.
7. May coordinate the preparation of regularly scheduled and special billings and financial statements for local, state, federal, and private funding sources.
8. May prepare accounting entries for proration of indirect costs, letters of credit, salary reallocations, financial aid disbursements, refunds, and repayments.
9. May assist with the development of a department's operating budget and consult with management of the department on the fiscal aspects of program planning, salary recommendations, and other administrative actions.
10. May supervise and/or lead lower graded staff and/or student employees.
11. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
May supervise employees but supervision is not the main focus of the job.
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
• Ability to analyze budgetary expenditures for compliance with funding agencies' budget, policies and procedures.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and/or projections.
• Account balancing and reconciling skills.
• Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications.
• Working knowledge of MS Excel spreadsheet software to quantify and illustrate routine financial reports, statements, and/or projections.
• Ability to lead, train, and functionally supervise staff and/or student employees.
• Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control procedures.
• Knowledge of university policies and procedures, applicable local, state, and federal regulations, and generally accepted accounting principles
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
1. No unusual physical requirements.
2. Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
3. Frequent - Externally imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; irregular hours may be anticipated; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position.
4. Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
5. Job requires standing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 10 pounds
6. Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
7. Hearing requirements: Heavy telephone contact requires ability to hear and respond to telephone conversations.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and a copy of your transcript(s).
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.