Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center (NSPARC) conducts research and creates customized solutions in areas of economic, workforce, business, and community development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Monitors revenue and expenses for departmental accounts; ensures expenditure control and compliance with funding and reporting requirements, university policy, and standard accounting procedures.
2. Constructs routine spreadsheet applications, prepares financial data, and generates reports.
3. Coordinates the preparation of regularly scheduled and special billings, costs reports, analyses, studies, inventories, and financial statements for local, state, federal and private funding sources.
4. Reviews expenditure, personnel, and purchasing documents for availability of funding, mathematical correctness, and compliance with university policy and state and federal funding requirements.
5. Reconciles and balances funds monthly and annually in accordance with the policies and procedures of the MSU Controller’s Office.
6. Prepares, reviews, and processes budget, revenue, expense, payroll, and related correcting entries and may prepare bank reconciliations of intermediate complexity.
7. Instructs department members on unrestricted and restricted funding requirements and methods and provides information for budget development.
8. May supervise and/or lead lower graded staff and/or student employees.
9. Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
Experience with MSU Banner and Excel; Experience with contract and grant accounting; Knowledge of Uniform Guidance and Cost Principles for federal awards; Experience with MSU’s hiring and procurement processes.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of standard and/or fund accounting principles, methods, and applications.
2. Ability to effectively communicate accounting information, policies, and/or procedures in a manner easily understood by the customer.
3. Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications.
4. Account balancing and reconciling skills.
5. Ability to set up and maintain financial accounts and ledgers.
6. Spreadsheet software skills to quantify and illustrate routine financial reports, statements, and/or projections.
7. Knowledge of general accounting principles.
8. Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control procedures.
9. Ability to supervise and train assigned staff.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
• No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
• Externally imposed deadlines, set or revised on short notice, frequent shifts in priority, numerous interruptions requiring immediate attention, unusual pressure on a daily basis due to accountability for success for major projects or areas of operation.
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants should complete an online application and upload a cover letter and current resume. Applicants should also submit two letters of recommendation (mailed by writers under separate cover), an official transcript for terminal degree and terminal diploma (provide English translation if necessary).
Address all supporting materials and reference letters to:
Chair, Accountant Selection Committee
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center
P.O. Box 6027
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Please email all queries to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.