Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Conceptualizes new, fresh designs for posters, logos, publications, surveys, fact sheets, promotional materials, newsletters, signage, and other printed and web-based material maintaining the self-established brand for NSPARC and its clients.
2. Designs and creates original artwork such as photography, graphs, charts, typography, clip art, other forms of line-art, and vector art for use in the construction of other designed pieces for multiple NSPARC clients and projects.
3. Updates and maintains the unit’s websites through WordPress software including software updates and backups and responsible for keeping the most current publications posted.
4. Communicates with and maintains a relationship with printers. Coordinates all printing production processes including pre-press file mechanical work, use print terminology to write print specifications.
5. Coordinates with printer, budget coordinator, project coordinators, and principal investigator to discuss budget information, design needs, and deadlines for project.
6. Researches and remains up to date on the most current design trends and skills to keep NSPARC’s design material fresh and modern.
7. Assist with presenting formal presentations and designs presentation material for projects including poster templates and PowerPoint templates.
8. Maintains and updates a graphics library of all designed material from projects to make the materials accessible to NSPARC staff.
9. Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in fine art, graphic design or related area and 1 – 2 years of experience in electronic publication design and layout.
Three to five years’ experience in electronic publication design and layout; intermediate photography skills; web content management and design experience; knowledge and execution of branding principles.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of principles and practices of graphic design.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to create and produce graphic materials using a range of media, methods, techniques, and equipment.
• Knowledge of graphic layout and photographic requirements and procedures.
• Skills in the utilization of specified computerized graphic design programs, including but not limited to Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Dreamweaver and other Adobe Creative Suite products.
• Ability to analyze graphic and technical information and create interpretive illustrations.
• Budget development and management skills as related to the production of new digital or traditional media communications.
• Knowledge of printing procedures and requirements.
• Knowledge of printing and/or reproduction processes and techniques.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
• Ability to analyze and interpret user graphic requirements.
• Ability to develop print and/or reproduction specifications.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files, paper stock, and related print shop materials (less than 50 lbs), and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
• Frequent- External imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
• Infrequent travel is a possibility.
• Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants should complete online application and upload a cover letter and current resume. Applicants should also submit two letters of recommendation (mailed by writers under separate cover), an official transcript for terminal degree and terminal diploma (provide English translation if necessary).
Address all supporting materials and reference letters to:
Chair, Graphic Designer (NSPARC) Selection Committee
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center
P.O. Box 6027
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Please email all queries to: email@example.com
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.