Senior Security Analyst
Job no: 496739
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 330200 - Office of the CIO
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintain audit and oversight of processes, procedures, and tools used to ensure security controls.
- Work with internal and external staff in implementation of enterprise-wide information security policies, standards, and processes moving toward the NIST Risk Management Framework at the University.
- Serve as a resource person in assessing systems, processes, and projects against compliance requirements, control objectives, and security best practices; interacts with internal and external technical staff and consults with project teams at various stages of project life cycles.
- Monitor system and network operations for signs of suspicious or detrimental activity.
- Investigate information security incidents to determine the cause and extent of the incident, and to make recommendations to mitigate the likelihood of similar future incidents.
- Stay abreast of current and evolving technologies and practices aimed at preventing attacks on the University’s IT environment, and make recommendations for adoption of such technologies and best practices to the CIO and senior ITS leadership.
- Assist in analyzing results from intrusion detection systems, intrusion prevention systems, network mapping software, log analysis, and other tools to detect, respond to, and mitigate information security related vulnerabilities and incidents.
- Stay abreast of new and evolving IT security issues, as well as legal, ethical, and social issues related to the operation and use of networked information systems at a public, land grant, high research university.
- Participate in informational activities and campaigns, including MSU’s annual Cybersecurity Awareness Week, aimed at educating MSU students, faculty, and staff about cybersecurity threats as well as appropriate safeguards and measures to guard against becoming a victim.
- Use tools of the trade to perform ongoing vulnerability assessments of MSU systems and networks to determine weaknesses and design remediation strategies for discovered vulnerabilities to mitigate risk.
- Maintain records and prepare reports for the CIO and senior ITS management providing insight into and measuring the effectiveness of MSU’s information security posture.
- Assist the Security and Compliance Officer, the CIO, and senior ITS management in preparing and documenting information security plans, policies, and procedures.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business Information Systems, or a related field
A minimum of 5 years' experience in computer or network security, administration, or related field.
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP) Certification
- Experience with network security technologies such as network vulnerability scanning, intrusion detection systems, and multifactor authentication
- Experience in a large, diverse university IT environment
- Experience with security compliance frameworks
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of security technologies such as network vulnerability scanning, intrusion detection systems, firewalls and system hardening
- Knowledge of TCP/IP and related network protocols
- System administration knowledge of contemporary computer operating systems, especially Linux and/or Windows
- Experience with security technologies such as network firewalls and VPNs
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- Ability to sit at computer for extended periods of time.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter, resume, and the names and addresses of 3 professional references. We will accept applications only from persons with indefinite employment authorization in the U.S., and will not sponsor for nonimmigrant or immigrant status for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend