Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Supervises Systems Analysts and Storage Systems team members
• Expert on virtual and physical server creation, management, and operations
• Experience with virtualization in general, including hypervisor management in a multi-physical server environment
• Work under the direct oversight of the Manager of Infrastructure Services to build, clone, and modify virtual servers and templates
• Works closely with the Security and Compliance group to resolve vulnerabilities and strengthen our cyber defense posture.
• Allocate and optimize system resources (e.g., CPUs, memory, disk space, etc.) across the multi-host, virtual architecture.
• Responsible for the health and proper operation of system foundational software such as the various components of the Atlassian (e.g., Bamboo, JIRA, Fisheye, etc.), VMWare (vSphere, vRealize, , etc.), TC Server, and other systems tool suites
• Work comfortably in both Windows and multiple Linux environments (CentOS, Ubantu, etc.)
• Work closely with software development personnel to support their efforts and perform joint tuning or troubleshooting when directed by the Manager of Infrastructure Services and Associate Director for IT
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Information Systems
• At least 5 years of relevant experience in computer systems-related work.
• At least 3 years’ supervisory experience.
• At least 3 years’ experience with both Windows and Linux server creation, modification, and maintenance.
• Extensive experience with using Linux/Unix (e.g., Red Hat or CentOS) command line interface (CLI).
• Demonstrated ability to write Linux scripts.
• Experience creating and maintaining virtual servers and virtual desktops (VDIs) in VMWare current version.
• Extensive, hands-on experience managing and upgrading VMWare servers and system software.
• Experience with patching systems for upgrades and security requirements at the OS level in CentOS or Red Hat Linux, Java, Windows Server2012R2, SQLServer 2016, and MySQL 5.6.
• Extensive expertise with replication and configuring servers for disaster recovery and failover including virtual system replication.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently, analyze data, solve problems, and prioritize and organize work to achieve stated goals.
• Demonstrated expertise in troubleshooting and correcting complex virtual systems issues
• Understanding of ports, protocols, and CLI tools (e.g., arp, ipconfig, netstat, nbtstat, ping, tracert, etc)
• Demonstrated expertise in troubleshooting skills in ports and protocols without external documentation.
• Expertise configuring all levels of storage from SAN storage pools level down to OS Disk and database level
• Experience troubleshooting SAN and NAS storage configuration issues; applying upgrades and security patches
• Recent Master’s Degree in Information Systems (within last 4 years)
• Experience with industry-standard networked backup solutions (e.g., Avamar)
• Extensive experience with industry-standard replication solutions (e.g., EMC RecoverPoint and Zerto)
• Expertise in Atlassian software systems (e.g., Crowd, Bamboo, Fisheye, etc.)
• Familiarity with Atlassian Jira
• Experience with identifying and remediating security vulnerabilities in both systems software (Linux, Windows, Database software, backup systems, etc.) and network equipment (Switches, Firewalls, etc.)
• Experience maintaining firewall and VPN rule sets.
• Experience with cyber security appliances and applications, such as A/V, encryption, and file security packages
• Substantial experience with HP Blade & Chassis and Cisco UCS configuration including configuring ESX hosts.
• Experience managing solid-state disk arrays
• At least one of the following certifications: CISSP, Security+, Network+, A+, CompTIA Advanced Security Practitioner, CCNA, VCP, or equivalent
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
• Regularly involves lifting, bending or physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc., with one often to the point of being objectionable. Injuries may require professional treatment.
• Frequent external imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
• Job occasionally requires travel and work to be performed outside of regular office hours.
• Job frequently requires standing, walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants should complete online application at www.exploremsujobs.msstate.edu and upload a cover letter and current resume. Applicants should also submit two letters of recommendation (mailed by writers under separate cover), an official transcript for terminal degree and terminal diploma (provide English translation if necessary).
Address all supporting materials and reference letters to:
Chair, Senior Systems Analyst Selection Committee
National Strategic Planning & Analysis Research Center
P.O. Box 6027
Mississippi State, MS 39762
Please email all queries to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.