Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
The Office of Agricultural Communications provides communications leadership, products, and services for the MSU Extension Service and the Division of Agriculture, Forestry, and Veterinary Medicine and for selected organizations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Collaborate with colleagues on the MSU Extension marketing team to develop, implement, and maintain MSU Extension’s overall integrated marketing communications plan.
2. Create polished, dynamic content for print marketing collateral and digital media, including writing advertising copy, client success stories, brochures, web microsites, social media accounts, and other communications, as needed.
3. Create and capture advertising-quality content for digital and print media using professional-grade equipment and software.
4. Contribute to the ongoing evolution of the MSU Extension’s online presence and digital strategies, assisting with implementation of new features and initiatives.
5. Collaborate with social media strategist to oversee MSU Extension’s social media accounts, including updating social media content, monitoring social media accounts for questions and comments, fostering engagement and community, and using scheduling tools to coordinate delivery of content.
6. Collaborate with social media strategist to provide training and consultation regarding digital marketing and/or creation and maintenance of social media accounts to MSU Extension colleagues and clients.
7. Collaborate with social media strategist to provide monthly and annual digital media analytic reports to the Head of Agricultural Communications.
8. Other duties as assigned by the Head of Agricultural Communications.
• Bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, communications, journalism, English, public relations, advertising, or a closely related field.
• Three years
Substitution allowed for Education:
Indicated education is required; no substitutions allowed.
Substitution allowed for Experience:
When a candidate has the required education, but lacks the required experience, they may normally apply additional appropriate education toward the experience requirement, at a rate of one (1) year relevant education per year of required experience.
• Master’s degree in English, marketing, communications, journalism, public relations, advertising, or a closely related field.
• Proficiency in videography.
• Proficiency in use of Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud software to edit photos and video and to create page layouts, graphics, and typography..
• Successful experience using style manuals, especially the Chicago Manual of Style.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Successful writing and editing experience with demonstrated creative writing ability.
• Skills in still photography using digital SLR cameras.
• Exceptional grammar, spelling, and proofreading skills.
• Demonstrated ability to combine strategic thinking with creative writing and effective tactical execution in communicating complex information.
• Excellent organizational, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills with strong attention to detail.
• Successful experience and expertise in the use of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Snapchat, and/or Instagram to achieve organizational marketing goals.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
•No or very limited physical effort required.
•No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
•Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
•Work may involve moderate exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicant needs to complete online application and attach a cover letter, resume, contact information for five references.
Applicant must include an unofficial transcript. Any social numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.