Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
The mission of the Veterans Business Outreach Center (VBOC@MSU) at Mississippi State University is to help create, develop, and retain veteran-owned small business enterprises. The VBOC provides free of charge one-on-one counseling and a variety of workshops to enable the success of veterans (including active duty, guard, reserves, spouses and survivors) desiring to start a business or the veterans currently owning a small business.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Directs, manages, and markets a business and educational services program to veterans, service-disabled veteran entrepreneurs, Reservists, National Guard members and transitioning service members interested in starting or expanding a small business.
2. Administers the daily activities of the VBOC.
3. Markets the business and educational services program in assigned service area.
4. Plans, coordinates, and conducts training seminars ensuing 100% coverage of Boots-to-Business courses and reboot programs within the coverage areas.
5. Responsible for establishing and maintaining a staff in support of the VBOC program.
6. Budgets resources and reviews expenditures.
7. Ensures budgeted resources are in line with the funds allocated from the grant.
8. Responsible for creating and implementing goals and objectives to achieve the mission of the VBOC.
9. Performs similar or related duties as assigned by the VBOC's Program Manager.
1. Four (4) years of high-level business management experience related to the above described duties.
2. Bachelor's degree in Business or related field.
1. Master's degree in Business or related field.
2. Previous small business owner
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Experience with military and small business programs.
2. Department of Defense Acquisition Experience related to small business opportunities.
3. Familiarity with the Small Business Administration Resource partners and the Department of Defense Transition Assistance Program (TAP).
4. Outstanding interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively in business partner relationships.
5. Knowledge of entrepreneurial and venture capital concepts.
6. Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
7. Experience managing budgets, including grant funds.
8. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
9. Computer skills such as word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, skype or goggle hangout.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
1. No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
2. Frequent external imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one's control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issue or stress on a regular basis.
3. Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling object with hands.
Contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Instructions for Applying:
Submit a cover letter, resume, and names and telephone numbers of 3 references (as other document).
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.