Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
The Department of Housing and Residence Life strives to create a "home away from home" where students are individually and collectively challenged and supported in the journey to become mature, contributing citizens in a global community.
In support of the mission of Mississippi State University and the Division of Student Affairs, the Department of Housing and Residence Life cultivates an on-campus environment that promotes student success, engages students through intentional interactions, and challenges them to learn and grow beyond the classroom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
1. Develop, design and update departmental forms related to housing assignments, room/assignment changes, and check-in/check-out processes.
2. Provide first level of assistance to answer questions and counsel students and parents by phone, by mail, and in person on housing choices, departmental policies and procedures, and other campus and community information.
3. Manage generation of assignment reports such as floor charts and rosters.
4. Coordinate and document regular printing of correspondence to students such as assignment letters, confirmation letters, etc. as designated by the Associate Director for Administrative Services.
5. Originate and monitor rollover process for continuing residents in residence halls and apartments from one term to the next and purge resident data no longer needed.
6. Train assignment and housing staff when changes are made in the assignment process.
7. Oversee the acceptance and processing of applications, room changes, cancellations, check-outs, and related charges and refunds to students' accounts.
8. Effectively convey policies and procedures to internal and external clients.
9. Maintain residents ' housing files and records.
10. Ensure proper entry of housing applications in Banner and occupancy management software program.
11. Conduct periodic audits of central office procedures and records to ensure policy and procedure compliance and accountability.
12. Train central office student staff on policies and procedures with regard to student assignments and records.
13. Serve on departmental, divisional, and/or university-wide committees as needed.
14. Perform related duties as assigned.
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent
Experience: Two years of Clerical, customer service or related
1. Bachelor's degree in business, management, human resources, or a related field.
2. Experience with Banner.
3. Experience with StarRez or similar housing assignments software system.
4. Three or more years’ experience with college student housing administration.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possess excellent human relations and communication skills
- Knowledge of personal computers and standard application software (i.e., Microsoft Office suite and/or database management programs)
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities
- Skill using Banner and housing software systems
- Strong teamwork, problem solving, organizational and time management skills
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
• No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting, and majority of work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility
• Externally imposed deadlines, set or revised on short notice, frequent shifts in priority, numerous interruptions requiring immediate attention, unusual pressure on a daily basis due to accountability for success for major projects or areas of operation
• Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, talking, and hearing
• Job occasionally requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically
Instructions for Applying:
Applications must be submitted through the Human Resources Management Website at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu by completing the online application and submitting a resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.