Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
The Department of Housing and Residence Life strives to create a "home away from home" where students are individually and collectively challenged and supported in the journey to become mature, contributing citizens in a global community.
In support of the mission of Mississippi State University and the Division of Student Affairs, the Department of Housing and Residence Life cultivates an on-campus environment that promotes student success, engages students through intentional interactions, and challenges them to learn and grow beyond the classroom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
1. Serve as a member of the Department of HRL Leadership Team
2. Establish and administer goals, objectives, and long range project planning for the Administrative Services unit of the Department
3. Lead and oversee the Administrative Services team to administer, maintain, and improve the administrative systems and functions of the unit
4. Develop strategies for allocating beds to support strategic populations
5. Establish and manage occupancy goals/targets
6. Create long and short term occupancy forecasts using historical, existing, and future data for both on and off campus
7. Develop strategies for making mid-course adjustments to impact occupancy
8. Craft policies to ensure contract or lease agreement is consistent with institutional and profession practices as well as legal requirements
9. Build, manage and adjudicate requests for student and guest housing contracts
10. Coordinate the generation and distribution of departmental statistical and annual reports
11. Establish and foster partnerships with appropriate institutional staff including, but not limited to: athletics, living-learning/theme housing communities, student support services, enrollment services, and orientation
12. Serve on departmental, divisional, and/or university-wide committees as needed
13. Active involvement with state, regional, and/or national professional associations to enhance professional knowledge, skills, and abilities
14. Performs other duties as assigned
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Marketing, or related area
Five years progressive experience in college student housing
- Master’s degree in higher education, college student development, or Business Administration or related field
- Experience in college student housing beyond minimum requirement
- Project management and marketing strategy implementation experience
- Experience with StarRez Housing Management System or similar housing management system
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Supervision of full-time post-masters level staff to student staff
2. Excellent communication and intrapersonal skills
3. Knowledgeable and practices skills related to sales, contracting, resource allocation and management
4. Proficient knowledge of computer applications (e.g., Microsoft suite)
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
• No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting, and majority of work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility
• Externally imposed deadlines, set or revised on short notice, frequent shifts in priority, numerous interruptions requiring immediate attention, unusual pressure on a daily basis due to accountability for success for major projects or areas of operation
• Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, talking, and hearing
• Job occasionally requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
• Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically
Instructions for Applying:
Applications must be submitted through the Human Resources Management Website at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu by completing the online application, cover letter, resume, and a minimum of 3 professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.