Candidates may find more information regarding the department at: https://www.cep.msstate.edu/
Anticipated Appointment Date:
August 1, 2018
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The department head will be expected to initiate and lead program development, evaluate and support personnel, oversee the fiscal responsibilities of the department, and strive to maintain a positive environment for learning and research. The department head is also tasked with providing the department’s students with the best in teaching and research via recruiting, retaining, and supporting high-quality and engaged faculty members. As such, the department head is responsible for routinely evaluating and mentoring faculty, overseeing the tenure and promotion process, coordinating faculty workload and the scheduling of courses, and providing professional development opportunities for both faculty and staff.
The department head is also expected to recruit and retain students while promoting the programs offered by the department. Through this, the candidate will be expected to adhere to university policies concerning admissions, enrollment, and graduation processes for both undergraduate and graduate students. The department head must also ensure that all programs offered through the department meet the needs of students and initiate any necessary reforms in order to remain competitive with other educational markets while maintaining the highest academic standards. The head is expected to support the strategic goals of the department and college and to articulate the goals of the department, both within and without the department, articulate the department's requests in pursuit of these aims, and maintain a climate that is hospitable and encourages faculty engagement, participation, collegiality, and innovation.
- Hold an earned doctorate from an accredited research university related to one of the department’s program areas.
- A record of scholarly achievement in research, service, and teaching at the college or university level.
- Have obtained rank of Associate Professor.
- Qualify for tenure at Mississippi State University.
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
- A demonstrated record of experience in graduate education (teaching, advising, and the coordination and directing of theses and dissertations).
- Possess a demonstrated record of administrative experience.
- Familiarity with accreditation standards and the processes required for maintaining such.
- Membership and/or leadership in related professional societies and organizations.
- Obtained or eligible for appointment at the rank of Professor.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants are invited to complete the full application at www.msujobs.msstate.edu. Applicants must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, copies of transcripts, and contact information for five references.
The search committee will begin reviewing applications on June 1 and continue until the position is filled. For inquiries about the position or the department, please contact Dr. Eric Moyen at 662.325.0969 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.