Job no: 497168
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 034900 - Geosciences
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
The Department of Geosciences currently has 19 tenure-track faculty, 3 clinical faculty and 6 full-time instructors, and offers B.S., M.S. and Ph.D. degrees. Within Geosciences there are 4 areas of emphasis: Professional Geology, Environmental Geosciences, Geography/Geospatial Sciences, and Meteorology/Climatology. The Department was recently named a Center of Academic Excellence in Geospatial Sciences by the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency. More information about the Department of Geosciences is available on our website: http://www.geosciences.msstate.edu.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Answers student inquiries and resolves problems related to curriculum and course prerequisites, referring to catalogues, written course descriptions and other appropriate sources.
- Receives and reviews transcripts lo evaluate transfer credits and applicability of academic credit to program requirements.
- Initiates and maintains individual student files as appropriate, updating and evaluating file as new information is received.
- Reviews student files to ensure deadlines are met for completing various graduation requirements such as coursework requirements, theses, comprehensive examinations, and other specific program requirements.
- Coordinates with other organizational units to process admission and graduation requests and to aid in resolution of academic problems.
- Reviews student grade reports each semester to determine probation and/or suspension based on academic regulations of university; notifies and places students on probation or suspension; returns students to regular status after sufficient progress is made.
- Prepares form letters, individual letters, and information packets in support of group and/or Individual recruitment efforts; attends and participates in individual and group orientation and other information dissemination sessions.
- Assists students in the selection of appropriate courses and concentrations in terms of students' stated preferences.
- Assists faculty advisement, athletic coaches, and/or other counseling personnel by providing records, evaluations, interpretations, and other requested data, recommendations, and conclusions.
- Performs supplemental administrative activities such as scheduling meetings and interviews, securing requested information, and and maintaining computerized data files.
- May supervise lower graded staff and/or student employees; may participate in training and evaluative sessions and recommend methods to improve advisement activities.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in a related field.
1 year experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
Master's degree in a related field.
Working knowledge of MSU's core curriculum, regulations, and policies.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to analyze course prerequisites, certification, and/or curriculum/graduation requirements.
- Ability to evaluate student transcripts and/or records
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
This position is contingent upon the availability of funding.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online and attach a resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend