Job no: 497273
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 330100 - Information Tech Infrastructure
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Install, configure, and monitor MSU campus Network infrastructure components such as routers, switches, firewalls, wireless controllers, etc.
- Install, maintain, and administer Unix/Linux based servers and workstations. Configure, install, and maintain essential network services such as DNS and web servers. Develop and maintain custom applications, utilities, and scripts.
- Support a variety of Unix/Linux application software.
- Support a variety of hardware and Unix/Linux systems software.
- Evaluate, test, and recommend new network hardware and software.
- Be available weekends and nights for performance of duties.
- Provide technical support and guidance to the other divisions within Information Technology Services to the MSU community at large.
- Meet regularly with other members of the ITS Information Technology Infrastructure staff to discuss current issues and future plans.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
Two years installation/administration experience with other Unix/Linux variants.
One year experience with configuration and maintenance of Cisco routers.
One year experience with installation and maintenance of Internet services such as domain name, web, and electronic mail services.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Programming and management experience with Oracle database software.
- Proficiency in C or C++ programming in a UNIX environment.
- Proficiency with one or more UNIX scripting or text processing languages such as PERL, tcl, awk, or bourne shell.
- Proficiency with PHP and MySQL.
- Familiarity with UNIX project management and revision control utilities such as make and cvs, rcs, or SCCS.
- Experience with network management tools and protocols.
- Well-developed interpersonal communication skills.
- Familiarity with virtualization technologies such as VMWare and Hyper-V.
- Familiarity with enterprise storage area network technologies and environments.
- Familiarity with enterprise backup technologies such as Veritas, NetBackup and/or Data Domain systems.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- May require occasional work on nights, weekends, and hours outside of the regular 8-5 workday.
- Requires ability to lift and transport heavy equipment between job site and technical service area.
- Work around high voltage equipment.
- Occasional exposure to cleaning solutions, glues, dust, and airborne particles.
- Occasionally work in environments with excessive noise, heat, and cold.
- Perform tasks while on ladders.
- Perform tasks in ceiling and subfloor crawl spaces.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu. Please attach a cover letter, resume, and the names and addresses of 3 professional references. We will accept applications only from persons with indefinite employment authorization in the U.S., and will not sponsor for nonimmigrant or immigrant status for this position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend