Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
ICET has a multidisciplinary staff of chemists, physicists, computer scientists and chemical, electrical and mechanical engineers. ICET’s staff is a unique blend of measurement specialists, control specialists and experienced engineering and operations staff primed to carry out its mission. ICET also employs students, both graduate and undergraduate, who further support research operations. ICET scientists have leading edge expertise in testing of nuclear grade High Efficiency Particulate (HEPA) filters, research and remediation of soils contaminated with depleted uranium and research into development of alternative fuels.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provide user support and applications consulting.
2. Troubleshoot hardware and software systems.
3. Provide networking infrastructure support for research activities.
4. Manage servers.
5. Database development, including front-end and back-end development.
6. Develop custom software from conception, design, implementation, testing and use on a variety of platforms under rigorous software quality requirements.
7. Oversee the SharePoint server infrastructure, user access and application deployment -- taking the lead role in implementing SharePoint and related collaboration tools across the department.
8. Other duties as assigned
Knowledge of software development process and life-cycle.
Knowledge of database development.
Research Engineer I - Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field; Less than one year experience in a related area.
Research Engineer II - Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field; Two years of professional experience in a related area; Requires two years at previous level or equivalent.
Research Engineer III - Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field; Four years of professional experience in a related area; Requires two years at previous level or equivalent.
1. Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
2. Must be a U.S. Citizen.
1. Experience with the development and implementation of software quality assurance methods and procedures.
2. Experience with front-end and back-end development including design, development and testing.
3. Experience with the management and support of computer networking hardware and software.
4. Programming proficiency in software engineering and development with C#, C++, .NET, Java, Perl, Python, HTML, PHP, Shell programming languages, etc.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge with Linux and Windows operating systems.
2. Knowledge building and supporting open source software.
3. Well-developed interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to perform with professionalism and produce quality, reliable results.
4. Strong analytical and technical skills with an attention for detail and accuracy.
5. Self-motivated and directed, with the ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
6. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• No or very limited physical effort required.
• Externally imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; may involve conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online by submitting a cover letter, and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.