Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
14 / $41,000
Mississippi State University Police Department is charged with providing for the safety of all students, faculty, staff, and guests who attend class, work, live, and visit our campus, and with the security of university buildings and property. The department provides a comprehensive array of law enforcement services through a dedicated staff of more than 34 sworn, state commissioned officers and 10 full-time support personnel. Recently, the department added a Life Safety Division who is responsible for the security of people and MSU property through electronic security measures.
Area of Specialization:
MSU Police Dept.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Reporting to the Life Safety Division Commander, assists with the planning, research and implementation of a centralized/uniform system of access control, video surveillance, and physical security systems and hardware.
2. Implements all related standards, policies and procedures for the unit and ensures compliance to such standards.
3. Researches current trends in technological development related to security operations and makes recommendations to the Life Safety Division Commander.
4. Provides oversight to access control, video surveillance and physical security projects.
5. Oversees the installation, maintenance, repair, modification and testing of access control, video management and physical security systems. These include: data cable and wiring, electronic door locks, access card readers, door position switches, request to exit detectors, video cameras and other security system related hardware.
6. Assists with software and server maintenance, including software and firmware revision updates.
7. Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Business, Management, EHS, or related field AND two (2) years' experience working in security and/or electronic security with demonstrated work history of electronic security systems and integration strategies.
Accepted substitution for bachelor's degree and two (2) years' experience:
Five (5) years of experience in electronic security systems of which three (3) years was in supervisory capacity.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Should have a background in understanding of CCTV, access control, fire and life safety equipment and other related technology.
Should have an understanding of network infrastructure as it relates to CCTV, access control, fire and life safety equipment and other related technology
Demonstrated history of working in collaboration with other department officials to enhance life safety and protection
Ability to troubleshoot technology issues related to electronic security
Strong interpersonal and communication skills, verbally and in writing
Ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
•Externally imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one's control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; may involve conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis
•Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, and handling objects with hands.
•Job occasionally requires standing, walking, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
•Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Please submit application, resume, cover letter and any applicable certificates online via www.msujobs.msstate.edu
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.