Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
15/ Minimum: 47,900
The individual filling this position will function at the professional research level and will collaborate with researchers involved in design and implementation of ASME NQA-1 qualified test systems for nuclear-grade HEPA-filters. This position will perform engineering research, data analysis, and report preparation. The individual may be responsible for supervising technicians and students that perform sample preparations, logging data, and analysis in the laboratory. The individual will assist in the development of procedures used by the analytical group, development of methods for training analytical personnel, training, and ensuring the QA/QC policies and procedures are followed. The individual will conduct research activities with coinciding projects that require analytical data quality assurance. Research activities include developing publications and presentations for national conferences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• This position will perform engineering research, data analysis, and report preparation.
• This position will have a strong emphasis on evaluation of factors influencing performance of nuclear grade HEPA filters. All research activities are subject to stringent quality control.
• Activities will include assisting in development of test plans, writing test procedures, collection of test data, data reduction, and report generation.
• Successful candidates will receive training in nuclear quality assurance requirements, oversight of testing activities, data reduction, and reporting of findings.
• Successful candidates will be expected to take part in routine conference calls with sponsors and brief sponsors of findings during project reviews. Project sponsors and stakeholders observe most testing activities and these positions are expected to become technically capable of explaining and/or discussing observations.
• Some travel may be required
Personnel appointed to these positions will: (a) be involved in research engineering support, hold a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical, or Agricultural/Biological Engineering, (b) meet specific criteria developed by the organizational unit.
Research Engineer I – B.S. in Engineering; Less than one year in a related field.
Research Engineer II – B.S. in Engineering; Two years of professional experience in a related area; Requires two years a previous level or equivalent.
Research Engineer III – B.S. in Engineering; Four years of professional experience in a related area; Requires two years at previous level or equivalent.
Note: Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Master of Science Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, or Chemical Engineering with experience in aerosol measurements techniques.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Skills must include the ability to do basic engineering calculations for ventilation systems including uncertainty analysis, familiarity with instruments used for making precise dimensional measurements using traditional methods is desirable. Applicants for Research Engineer II or higher must have project management/leadership experience.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
The position requires the ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
Testing activities require assembly and disassembly of engineering scale test stands. These positions will be responsible for assisting and/or safely coordinating these activities.
Safety requirements include use of hard hats and steel-toed shoes. Limited exposure to radiological sources may occur. Position wear film badges.
Testing is routinely continuously conducted for up to 120 hours. Shift work may be required.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online and attach a resume and cover letter.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.