Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Repair, maintain, alter, install and operate air delivery equipment, support components, heating and ventilating units which include heating and cooling coils, preheaters and dampers, and associated control systems.
2. Work on traditional and computerized control systems and components associated with HVAC delivery systems.
3. Work on water treatment for various types of closed and open systems.
4. Cut, thread, and bend pipe, using hacksaw, pipe cutters, cutting torch, threading machine, and pipe bending machine.
5. Check assigned buildings and units’ heating and refrigeration systems daily.
6. Operate, maintain, alter, and install mechanical refrigeration systems.
7. Inspect, install, routine troubleshooting and repair piping fixtures and equipment including hand valves, relief valves, pressure-reducing valves, lift pumps, vacuum pumps, circulating pumps, sump pumps, air compressors, hot water heaters and expansion joints.
8. Lubricate fans, motors, and pumps, change filters and belts, and adjust controls.
9. Test equipment for leaks and make corrections, where necessary.
10. Check gauges and make inspections for preventive maintenance on all HVAC equipment.
11. Monitors and cleans boiler system to maintain proper water temperature.
12. Erect and work from ladders, scaffolding, boom trucks, and similar devices.
13. Recommend requisition materials and parts.
14. Assist with or interpret blueprints, sketches, and job specifications.
15. Prepare as built drawings of mechanical systems, document job time and materials used.
16. Be knowledgeable of and comply with all safety and mechanical codes.
17. Perform related duties as assigned.
Applies basic skills and learns advanced skills in procedures, techniques, tools, materials and/or equipment appropriate to area of specialization. Equivalent to an apprentice level in area of specialization. High school diploma or equivalent plus one to two years experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Valid Driver’s License and EPA approved universal refrigerant handler’s certificate.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Regularly involves lifting, bending or other physical exertion. Often exposed to one or more elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, climbing or balancing, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically, ability to distinguish colors.
Instructions for Applying:
All interested applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.edu and complete a Support Staff Application.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.