Job no: 497514
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 460300 - Human Resources Management
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Categories: Support Staff
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides information and assistance to faculty and staff within the University system on state and University benefits programs and related policies, procedures, state and federal laws.
- Explain all benefits and services to new faculty and staff and coordinates the benefit enrollment process.
- Provides pre-retirement advisement and information to University employees; provides projected estimates of retirement benefits, on all retirement benefits options, and assists clientele with the establishment of individual benefits portfolios.
- Provides ongoing assistance for benefits changes and the resolution of benefits eligibility issues.
- Assists with annual Open Enrollment for University employees and retirees, to include preparation and distribution of informational materials and communications, facilitation of information sessions, answering questions, and assisting employees and retirees with filling out forms and documents.
- Serves as a retiree advocate, and provides liaison and support in the resolution of on going problems and issues with regards to benefits payments and/or billings.
- Upon death of retiree, provides advisement and administrative coordination and support to surviving spouse with respect to records management, notifications and associated administrative matters, and continuation of applicable retiree benefits.
- Coordinates and facilitates the administration of the Retiree Disability Program; coordinates the distribution and processing of all relevant forms and documents, advises retirees on policies and procedures, and resolves or coordinates resolution of individual problems and issues, as they arise.
- Maintains employee benefits records as appropriate.
- Prepares reports, graphs, charts, and statistics in support of benefits and human resources operations as needed.
- Coordinate and complete the remittance process beginning with vendor invoice(s) and finishing with accurate and timely transmittal of funds or manual payment through established university accounts payable procedures.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Education: 2 years Post secondary Education: in business or related field
Experience (yrs.): 4 years Closely related
Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or Education: approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Management, Accounting or a related field
- Knowledge of Employee Benefits and Group Insurance Terminology, and
- Knowledge of Defined Benefit and Defined Contribution Retirement Plans, 403(b), 457(b), 401
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent verbal and communication skills
- Organizing and coordinating skills
- Knowledge and understanding of employee benefits and retirement principles, practices, procedures, documentation for a large employer
- Knowledge of invoice to remittance cycle and related processes
- Ability to communicate complex technical information in a manner easily understood by non-technical personnel
- Data management and tracking skills
- Case management and advocacy skills
- Knowledge of state and federal laws pertaining to employee benefits
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
- Externally imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one's control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; may involve conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
- Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hand. Job occasionally requires standing, walking, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 10 pounds.
- Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Submit application and any requested documents online.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend