Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Estimates, plans, supervise, and coordinates work projects and preventative maintenance schedules; assign crew to specific jobs.
2. Supervises, schedules, and assigns the work of the HEQ staff and outside contractors; and monitors their work in order to assure proper staffing and quality standards.
3. Inspects jobs, equipment and tools in order to assure compliance with codes, guidelines, University standards, and safety rules.
4. Monitor campus streets, parking lots, sidewalks and signage for needed maintenance.
5. Interviews, recommends for employment, trains, evaluates and disciplines the heavy equipment crew.
6. Verifies and approves requisitions; and orders, controls and accounts for supplies and equipment in order to maintain the inventory system.
7. Inspects plans, prints, sketches and specifications for all jobs and provides technical assistance.
8. Responds to questions, complaints and needs of all levels of University employees, students, and the public in order to provide technical and trade information and assistance.
9. Audits and oversees vendor bills and charges; ensure that labor and materials are charged to proper accounts.
10. Initiates and prepares special, periodic, fiscal, time study and labor reports; and maintains records.
11. Interact with department heads and other university management and other skilled crafts supervisors in order to review, discuss and coordinate work.
12. This position has responsibility for the health and/or safety of others. Responsibilities include overseeing the safe use of equipment and materials and maintaining safety standards for the support staff when working in hazardous or dangerous conditions.
13. Perform related duties as assigned.
Any equivalent combination of related experience and/or education approved by the Department of Human Resources Management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of methods, materials, tools, equipment, occupational hazards, and safety
precautions of the trade. Thorough knowledge of applicable building codes, rules, and regulations (local, state, and national). Skill in reading and interpreting blue prints. Demonstrated supervisory skills.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
Frequent, heavy, or intense physical requirements combined with exposure to a number of disagreeable elements, such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, and chemicals. Constant precautions required.
Occasional-Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires standing, walking, reaching, climbing or balancing, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 50 pounds.
Job occasionally requires sitting, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting more than 100 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.