Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
1. Coordinate all phases of pre-press production for magazines. Coordinate contributions of writers, designers, and printers on publication production.
2. Respond to inquiries about magazines
3. Coordinate closely with appropriate RCU and Mississippi Department of Education staff on magazine content and creative direction
4. Serve as chief feature writer for magazines and supporting writer for other publications
5. Engage Mississippi’s K-12 community in ongoing discussions through the magazines’ web presences and social media
6. Perform some or all of the above duties for other publication projects as requested
7. Draft and submit news releases to appropriate outlets as needed
8. Edit and revise copy for publications when necessary
9. Support photography and/or design when necessary
10. Provide support, input, and content as needed for overall RCU initiatives
11. Hold membership on the university-wide Communications Council as requested
12. Maintain editorial standards across all platforms
13. Some travel and site visits in Mississippi required
14. Perform related duties as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in Communication, English, public relations, public policy, education or similar field with three to five years related experience
Master’s degree in English, public relations, communication, technical writing, public policy/administration, education, or a related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to professional personnel in area of expertise
Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
Knowledge of public relations and general communication principles and practices
Ability to evaluate and edit the content, structure, and format of a range of written material
Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials
Excellent computer skills and knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite and Microsoft Office
Ability to develop broad-based, collaborative efforts with appropriate personnel
Ability to work independently, perform complex tasks, and manage and prioritize multiple projects
Commitment to ensuring deadlines are met and products are of a high quality
Ability to resolve conflict and competing interests with finesse and professional demeanor
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
Externally imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position; may involve conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands.
Job occasionally requires standing, walking, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 10 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Valid driver’s license
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online and submit a resume, cover letter and the complete contact information for at least 3 references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.