Contract and Grants Specialist
Job no: 497841
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 038800 - College of Arts & Sciences
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
The College of Arts & Sciences at Mississippi State University is the largest college at MSU with more than 5,000 students and 300 full-time faculty members. As a result of its size, the College of Arts & Sciences would constitute the 5th largest university in the state. As such, it touches the lives of every student that attends MSU, making it the heart and soul of the university. The College offers 25 degree programs in 14 different departments, and is the home to several institutes and centers. For more information about the College of Arts & Sciences, please visit www.cas.msstate.edu
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
- Guides and facilitates faculty and staff in the development and preparation of research proposals, contracts, sub-contracts, and agreements, to include budgets, documentation, and interpretation of funding requirements.
- Analyzes and evaluates contract and grant budgets for correct calculation of expenditure categories such as salaries, percent of effort, salary adjustment increases, fringe benefits, indirect costs, materials, and equipment.
- Serves as a central negotiator and liaison between the University, funding agencies, and contract entities; researches, drafts, and approves formal responses to requests for proposals, quotation, contracts, and agreements.
- Analyzes and evaluates awarded proposals, contracts, and subcontracts for compliance with funding agency, federal, state, and university requirements; prepares required acceptance documentation, and obtains official university signatures; recommends approval or rejection of deviations from contract specifications.
- Assists in the formulation of processes and procedures for negotiation of contract and grant pre-awards and post-awards to meet university requirements; researches appropriate federal, state, and local requirements to facilitate compliance by all parties; assists in arbitration and resolution of conflicting interests, as necessary.
- Coordinates receipt of awards and contract documentation; maintains proposal and funding records in database systems, and prepares scheduled and special reports, studies and analyses.
- Participates and/or assists in special projects, and performs associated administrative duties, as assigned; may provide functional direction to lower level technicians on assigned work.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelors Degree in a related appropriate discipline
1 year experience
Experience with pre and/or post award research management.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- No unusual physical requirements.
- Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
- Frequent - Externally imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; irregular hours may be anticipated; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position.
- Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands
- Job requires standing, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 10 pounds
- Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically
- Hearing requirements: Heavy telephone contact requires ability to hear and respond to telephone conversations
This position is contingent upon the availability of funding.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply online through www.msujobs.msstate.edu and submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend