Instructor and Laboratory Coordinator
Job no: 497913
Position type: Full-Time 9-Month
Department: 038400 - Physics & Astronomy
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date:
The Department of Physics and Astronomy offers BS, MS, and PhD degrees. It also has a high service load for other majors both in the College of Arts and Sciences and from other colleges.
Area of Specialization:
Physics and Astronomy
Anticipated Appointment Date:
August 16, 2019
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in this position. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment of the position.
- Teach two undergraduate courses in Physics and/or Astronomy and/or Physical Sciences each semester, or equivalent.
- Engage in routine departmental, college, university, and scientific community service functions and committees.
- Supervise graduate teaching assistants for undergraduate Physics laboratories.
- Responsible for working with faculty and staff to assure an appropriate laboratory experience for all students.
- Oversees 20-30 graduate and undergraduate teaching assistants.
- Coordinates the use of demonstrations, audio-visual and multimedia teaching aides.
- Manages the Howell Teaching Observatory.
- Scheduling laboratories, edit laboratory manuals, and developing new and innovative experiments.
- Conflict resolution in scheduling graduate teaching assistants and assignments.
- Nominating teaching assistants for advancement and awards.
- Follow all federal, state, and university policies.
- Maintain office hours in accordance with departmental policy.
- Master’s degree in Physics or closely related field, and a strong background in physics.
- Experience in teaching and the use of technology in teaching will be valuable in this position.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
PhD in Physics or a closely related field.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be able to communicate knowledge in a classroom environment to students.
- Willingness to participate collegially in a broad department.
- Must be able to prioritize, and delegate tasks to graduate teaching assistants.
- Must be able to balance complex, conflicting priorities and schedules.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter, current resume or curriculum vita, and the complete contact information for at least three professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend