Job no: 498048
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 031100 - Biological Sciences
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Position Open Date:
Area of Specialization:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide career counseling services to students and alumni interested in pre-health careers.
- Provide students with guidance and information regarding career decision-making, self-assessment, career options, goal setting, career research, the job/internship search process and graduate school admissions. Deliver a variety of career workshops and programs on such topics to help students prepare for successful transitions to careers and/or graduate school.
- As a team member deliver a range of programs that serve specific needs of students who are preparing and applying for health-related professional schools.
- Develop tailored e-mail communications and other written materials customized to pre-health profession students. Write and maintain specific sections of the Pre-Health Advising Office web site and social media outlets, and contribute to unit publications.
- Conduct ongoing needs assessments/surveys; collect and report on data related to service delivery and outcomes or marketplace trends for students.
- Collaborate with staff/faculty and other members of the University community from colleges/schools, student service units, and student organizations regarding strategic design and development of resources and programs/workshops; build effective partnerships through regular communication, collaboration, and consultation.
- Participate on unit-wide committees and projects.
- Performs supplemental administrative activities such as scheduling meetings and interviews, securing requested information, and verifying and maintaining computerized data files.
- May supervise lower graded staff and/or student employees; may participate in training and evaluative sessions and recommend methods to improve advisement activities.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
1 year experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified
- Master’s degree in a related field. Advanced experience and knowledge advising pre-health professions students.
- Working knowledge of MSU's core curriculum, regulations, and policies.
- Experience working in the health care sector.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to analyze course prerequisites, certification, and/or curriculum/graduation requirements.
- Ability to evaluate student transcripts and/or records.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply on-line at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and supply a cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend