Human Resources Specialist
Job no: 498136
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 460300 - Human Resources Management
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Categories: Support Staff
Position Open Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitors Employment Action Forms (EAF's) for new hire and current employees to ensure that retirement codes are set up correctly. Makes updates and corrects errors in the system. Responsible for keying employee selection at the time retirement selection is made.
- Monitors (EAFs) for job title changes for Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) eligibility and makes appropriate changes.
- Keys Salary Reduction Agreement Forms and maximum exclusion allowance amounts for tax deferred annuities. Responsible for appropriately distributing copies.
- Responsible for maintaining spreadsheets and posting all payments for Cobra and Cash Collection participants.
- Sends payments to the Cashier's office. Sends correspondence to Cobra and Cash Collection participants regarding their payment status. Balances accounts and sends to files when accounts are closed.
- Responds to inquiries regarding Cash Collect and Cobra participants.
- Receives insurance and retirement applications from counselors for new hires and existing employees. Responsible for coding, determining effective dates, copying and mailing all applications to the appropriate vendors. Responsible for keying and posting all insurance applications to worksheets. Forwards application copies to appropriate location or person after worksheets have been balanced with payroll totals.
- Prints worksheets to be used for charge backs to next payroll and auditing purposes.
- Binds worksheets for storage.
- Responsible for transferring and formatting worksheets from current payroll to next payroll via worksheets sent to HRM by computing center.
- Mails out refund checks within appropriate time frames.
- Balances flexible spending accounts monthly contribution listing report with MSU's flexible spending payroll worksheet.
- Terminates retirement codes from Banner after an employee terminates or is no longer eligible for retirement deductions.
- Files reports appropriately.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
High school diploma
Five years Accounting or other directly related area
Substitution allowed for Education:
Substitution allowed for Experience:
When a candidate has the required education, but lacks the required experience, they may normally apply additional appropriate education toward the experience requirement, at a rate of one (1) year relevant education per year of required experience.
- Experience related to health insurance plan premiums, payroll deductions, benefits eligibility provisions.
- Experience with Banner data entry.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel
- Organizing and accounting skills.
- Knowledge of general accounting principles.
- Customer service skills.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Word processing, spreadsheet, and/or data entry skills.
- Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Strong analytical and problem solving abilities.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- No unusual physical requirements.
- Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
- Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
- Job frequently requires sitting, handling objects with hands, .
- Job occasionally requires standing, walking, reaching, talking, hearing, and lifting up to 10 pounds.
- Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
Submit application and any requested documents online.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend