Salary Grade/Minimum Salary:
14 / $41,000
The Office of Student Leadership and Community Engagement (SLCE) at Mississippi State University aspires to educate, enlighten, and empower tomorrow’s leaders – everyday citizens who transform the social, educational, and economic fabric of communities across our state and nation and around the globe. For more information, visit mlp.msstate.edu, dayone.msstate.edu, and slce.msstate.edu.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Assists in developing and executing leadership focused development activities for college students, adults, and other constituency groups as appropriate.
2. Works with the Director to recruit participants into leadership development programs.
3. Executes plans for leadership development programs and activities; coordinates event and contingency planning.
4. Works in conjunction with interested parties to formulate and write proposals to secure funding and ensure leadership development program sustainability.
5. Mentors participants in leadership development programs; establishes and fosters relationships with parents and students.
6. May establish marketing themes, write copy, and create design for brochures for leadership programs.
7. May coordinate with campus ITS department to update web-based functions.
8. May create and manage complex databases for the marketing and communications of leadership programs to stakeholders.
9. Oversees summer leadership camps.
10. Oversees, manages and develops curricula for leadership and community engaged learning projects, trips, and seminars for college students and staff.
11. Develops curricula and teaches leadership courses associated with the Montgomery Leadership and Day One Leadership programs and other future leadership development programs.
12. Participates in, develops, and initiates leadership programming across campus in partnership with other departments and student organizations, including but not limited to MSU Collegiate Leadership Conference.
13. May participate in the development, implementation, and maintenance of policies, objectives, and short-and-long-range planning.
14. Develops and implements projects and programs to assist in the accomplishment of established goals.
15. Assists with the development and management of annual operating budget(s).
16. Travel in-state and out-of-state required as assigned by the Director.
17. Performs related duties as assigned.
Master’s Degree in related field.
3-5 yrs. experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities listed above.
Demonstrated leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.
Indicated education and experience is required. No substitutions.
1-3 years of experience working in higher education, particularly: leadership and community engagement programs. Experience in teaching, event planning, social justice, and leadership development.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Strong problem solving, communication, organizational, interpersonal, and management skills. Experience with programming and administration. Ability to give presentations in front of large numbers of people. Event planning and event management skills. Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills. Ability to build relationships with other university and community units. Excellent decision-making and time management skills. Ability to work as part of a team. Experience working with computers and web-based applications. History of community service and civic engagement. Exceptionally hard worker with personal initiative and self-motivation.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
No unusual physical requirements. Requires no heavy lifting, and nearly all work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility. Limited exposure to elements such as heat, cold, noise, but none to the point of being disagreeable.
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than an immediate supervisor.
Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, and handling objects with hands.
Job occasionally requires standing, walking, stooping/kneeling/crouching/crawling, and lifting up to 10 pounds.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter, current resume or curriculum vitae, and the complete contact information for at least three professional references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.