Salary Grade/Minimum Salary:
14/ Minimum: 41,000
The Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems (CAVS) at Mississippi State University is an interdisciplinary center comprised of research, engineering design & development, and technology transfer teams for industry and government partners.
Our overall effort is focused on developing superior computational, engineering, manufacturing, design, and information technologies relevant to Mississippi and regional industries. This is accomplished by bringing to bear world-class technologist and technologies to solve complex problems.
The research output provides sustainable regional competitive advantages. To be successful, CAVS maintains a portfolio of short-term and long-term projects to create a succession of increasingly more vital outputs, ranging from students with enhanced project management skills to commercialization of the intellectual products.
The Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems at the HPC2 now serves as the focus for the Bagley College of Engineering’s high performance computing activities that has been a longtime strength of the college. CAVS also is the home of the college’s Computational Engineering graduate degree program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The following examples are intended as illustrations only of the various types of duties assigned in positions allocated to this classification. The absence of specific statements of duties does not exclude those tasks from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position.
1. Edits purchase requests; prepares purchasing and accounting
paperwork such as purchase orders and requisitions; reconciles invoices with purchase orders in preparation for payment processing.
2. Identifies and resolves potential purchasing problems; follows up to
ensure timely and accurate product delivery.
3. Receives incoming materials, supplies, and equipment and compares
information on packing slip with purchase order to verify accuracy of shipment.
4. Processes direct payments for any purchases not completed
on purchase order.
5. Reviews and monitors monthly procurement card purchases to ensure compliance with university policies.
6. Maintains files and records of materials, prices, inventories, and
7. Ensures adherence to established state, University, and departmental policies
and procedures, objectives, quality assurance programs, and safety standards.
8. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in a related field.
1. Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance or related field with at least 2 years of experience in purchasing on a university campus.
2. Current knowledge of Mississippi State University purchasing policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance programs, and safety standards.
3. Current knowledge of MS state contract purchasing policies and requirements.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications.
2. Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
3. Knowledge of human resources concepts, practices, policies, and procedures.
4. Database management skills.
5. Knowledge of general accounting principles.
6. Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
7. Ability to supervise and train assigned staff.
8. Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality.
9. Records maintenance skills.
10. Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments.
11. Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
12. Ability to gather data, compile information, and prepare reports.
13. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
14. Ability to analyze and solve problems.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Routine deadlines; usually sufficient lead time; variance in work volume seasonal and predictable; priorities can be anticipated; some interruptions are present; travel or other inconveniences have advance notice; involves occasional exposure to demands and pressures from persons other than immediate supervisor.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online by submitting a cover letter, resume, and a copy of transcript(s). Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online. For additional information, contact Brandy Akers at email@example.com.
Position contingent upon funding availability.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.