Job no: 498262
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 313214 - MSU-Riley Center
Location: Riley Center - Meridian, MS
Categories: Support Staff
Position Open Date:
Position close Date:
Salary Grade/Salary Minimum:
11/Minimum: $27,300 (Salary beyond the minimum posted is commensurate with education and experience beyond the minimum. )
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Accesses EMS (scheduling software) to enter meetings and events that are taking place, when and where throughout the facility.
- Answers client calls and correspondence, serving as inside sales person for events and forwarding any firm leads to Sales Manager.
- Works with scheduling software to check availability and book space and required services;
- Oversees meeting planning, coordination and implementation for clients; partners and coordinates with internal resources, hotels, transportation services, and catering services as needed;
- Interacts with Sales Manager, Conference Admin. Assistant, and clients to ascertain a clear understanding of client expectations and critical areas requiring special attention or flexibility.
- Responds to incoming phone calls, e-mails with clients for conference business, and forwards firm leads to Sales Manager.
- Directs and trains intermittent & other staff on conference basics related to event coordination, set up and tear down, quality customer service standards, standard operating procedures, and time saving short-cuts to efficiently manage workload.
- Interacts with conference center clients and with Meeting & Convention staff to review, set up, and finalize food & beverage needs prior to the meeting/conference; makes adjustments and provides recommendations that can be accommodated in efficient manner, while meeting or exceeding client expectations.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education High School Diploma
Experience (yrs.) Four years Directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified above
When a candidate has the required education, but lacks the required experience, they may normally apply additional relevant education toward the experience requirement, at a rate of one (1) year relevant education per year of required experience.
Some college work successfully completed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Knowledge and understanding of meeting and event planning principles, requirements, procedures, and available resources.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Ability to develop, plan, and implement short- and long-range goals.
- Knowledge of conference facilities, technology, and equipment.
- Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and draw conclusions.
- Knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control procedures.
- Knowledge of public institution purchasing principles, procedures, regulations, and standards.
- Ability to perform complex tasks and to prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard and access scheduling software.
- Ability to verbally communicate clearly and concisely through various mediums including hand held radios.
- Requires good communication and customer service skills required to interact with clients and vendors.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Position requires some overtime and ability to work a flexible schedule including some evenings, nights and weekends.
- Conditions may require last minute set-up changes involving moving tables, chairs and sound systems, etc.
- Occasional and/or light lifting required. Limited exposure to elements such as heat, cold, noise, dust, dirt, chemicals, etc., but none to the point of being disagreeable. May involve minor safety hazards where likely result would be cuts, bruises, etc.
- Externally imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions influence priorities; difficult to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a few days; meeting of deadlines interactions involving emotional issues or stress on a regular basis.
- Job frequently requires sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with hands, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Job occasionally requires standing, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling.
- Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically
Instructions for Applying:
Submit application and any requested documents online.
Position contingent upon the availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Standard Time
Applications close: Central Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend