Salary Grade/Minimum Salary:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manages daily financial activities, which include budget preparation and control, accounting, and business planning and management; ensures compliance with university policies and procedures, state, and federal regulations.
2. Prepares budget requests, operating budgets, and budget revisions as required.
3. Prepares reconciliations, special analyses, and information reports for management; monitors adherence to budgets (operating and personnel).
4. Coordinates, designs, and implements internal financial reporting systems, financial controls, and management information systems in coordination with the automated financial reporting systems of the university.
5. Participates in development, implementation and maintenance of policies, objectives, short-and long-range planning; develops and implements projects and programs to assist in accomplishment of established goals.
6. Audits financial records for accuracy, availability of funds, and conformance to university and departmental policies and procedures.
7. Reviews MAFES personnel actions.
8. Ad hoc reporting as required.
9. Assists department financial personnel in problem resolution, provides instruction and training as needed.
10. Coordinates as needed with the university purchasing department for leases and other contract-related actions required for MAFES Administration.
11. Manages cash-related receipts, ensuring timely processing.
12. May represent the organization at meetings; promotes existing and new programs and/or policies.
13. Acts as a backup on MAFES approvals (administration and for departmental purchases above $5000)
14. Understands and assists with preparation of federal financial reporting, state budget preparation process (OBRS).
15. Ability to meet deadlines while managing frequent interruptions.
16. Performs miscellaneous, job-related and unrelated, duties as assigned.
Education : Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, or related field
Experience: 3 years directly related to the duties and responsibilities listed above.
Preferred qualifications may include:
Query tool (programming) capabilities [Crystal Reports]
PageUp System experience
Extensive experience with Microsoft products (in particular, Excel)
Knowledge of Federal rules governing expenditure (specifically NIFA)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to teach and/or train MAFES financial staff.
Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
Knowledge of customer service principles.
Skill in budget management.
Knowledge of faculty and/or staff hiring procedures.
Knowledge and understanding of business management principles and practices.
Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
Knowledge and understanding of ProCard policies and procedures.
Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
Skill using BANNER system.
Skill in account/fund reconciliation.
Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques.
Ability to design, develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports.
EXTENSIVE experience with Microsoft Excel.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• Some travel required (limited).
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
Apply online at jobs.msstate.edu. Include cover letter, resume, transcripts, and contact information for 3 references. Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Questions may be directed to Anne Cook at 662.325.8104 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.