Salary Grade/Minimum Salary:
Throughout its history, Mississippi State University-Extension (MSU-ES) has demonstrated a deep and abiding commitment to programs that directly impact young children and their families. In the past decade, MSU-ES has distinguished itself as Mississippi’s premier infrastructural support of high-quality early childhood education.
Area of Specialization:
MSU - Extension Head Start Programs, Harrison County
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Facilities and Operations: Uses knowledge of sound facilities and operational practices ensure compliance with performance standards and licensing requirements, and provide for the health and safety of all infants and toddlers in the program.
● Identifies areas in need of maintenance and repair and responds to those needs promptly and effectively.
● Performs basic maintenance, construction, and technology tasks and effectively utilizes
resources to accomplish them.
The Building Maintenance Technician/Bus Driver responsibilities chiefly fall within the core function of Facilities & Operations, although s/he may perform other tasks as needed.
● Provide general maintenance to facilities:
o Completes regular maintenance, cleaning and minor repairs at centers and main
office upon request.
o Ensures major repairs and maintenance are completed as requested.
o Completes routine maintenance of all heating and ventilation systems.
o Assists in remodeling, refurbishing and repairing of office spaces, classrooms, and
storage units which may include minor carpentry, painting, sanding and refinishing of furniture, fixtures, and equipment.
o Performs minor plumbing and electrical repairs and maintenance.
o Ensures regular maintenance and upkeep of outdoor environments, including lawns, landscaped beds, playgrounds, outdoor structures and parking lots.
o Completes daily check-up of playgrounds as well as a monthly check-up of facilities
and buildings using Mississippi State University – Extension Head Start Program’s
Health and Safety checklist.
o Performs routine and thorough inspections of outdoor (playground) areas to ensure
areas are free of safety hazards, trash, weeds, and other debris.
● Repair and maintenance of the building, classroom, storage facilities, machinery, and
o Assists in moving office furniture, fixtures and equipment within and between sites to
support staffing changes, relocations, remodels and program expansion.
o Performs routine inspections of site interiors for safety hazards.
o Performs repairs, maintenance, moving, transporting, and installation of playground
o Ensures agency machinery and equipment are maintained and stored in a secure
● Transports and distributes food and other materials to Head Start sites as needed.
● Completes work requisitions in a timely manner as directed by the Assistant Director of
Monitoring and Compliance and Operations.
● Transports records and materials to the climate-controlled facility.
● Responsible for the abatement of licenses.
● Meets with contractors and vendors to obtain bids.
● Files paperwork from transportation trip requests, cooks, health and safety checklist, or
other requested documentation.
● Maintains a daily driving record of assigned company vehicles and drive safely.
● Sets up for Professional Development Day or any school function with required AV and/or
● Assembles furniture or equipment.
● Assists Assistant Director of Monitoring,Compliance and Operations with purchasing from local vendors.
● Must be on call for emergency situations such as investigate alarm systems, accurate
building inspections and weather-related emergencies as needed.
● Bus Driver:
o Obeys all applicable laws and regulations to ensure the safety of passengers.
o Follows the safest and most efficient routes given.
o Drives for regular class days organized field trips and occasional evening meetings.
o Requires driving in all weather conditions including rain, snow, ice, wind, and heat.
o Establishes a relationship of trust and rapport with the parents and the children.
o Ensures that parents and children follow the program rules when riding the vehicles.
o Shares information on a daily basis with classroom staff and parents; reports any
information or concerns about families.
o Ensures the bus is empty at the end of each run and that all children are accounted
o Coordinates with staff when a parent is not home or there are problems with
o Knows the routes, location of stops and which children should board or exit at each.
o Familiar with the Department of Transportation regulations and Commercial Driver’s
o Monitors and maintains all vehicle fluid levels.
o Keeps the vehicle clean at all times.
o Reports any damage or malfunction immediately.
o Performs emergency bus drills.
o Attends all workshops and meetings as deemed necessary
o Responsible for gas and oil receipts and submitting totals to the supervisor.
● Performs any and all other duties (or functions) as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to carry out each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The job specifications listed below are representative of the education and experience as well as the knowledge, skill and/or ability (KSAs) required.
● High School Diploma or equivalent
● 2+ years’ experience in a related field
● Current in-state Commercial Driver’s License with a School Bus and/or Passenger
● Must have a good driving record
● Physical exam and background checks are required for this position.
● Travel required locally or long-distance up to 15% of the time for work-related meetings
● Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Current in-state Commercial Driver’s License with a School Bus and/or Passenger
● An AA degree in mechanical, electrical or industrial maintenance preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
● Basic knowledge of OSHA Standards and compliance requirements
● Knowledge of general maintenance processes and methods
● Ability to interact effectively with people from diverse backgrounds.
● Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
● Demonstrated computer literacy skills, using MS Office applications and other basic data
systems including internet navigation.
● Must be honest, dependable and able to meet deadlines.
● Self-motivated and able to work independently.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
● Ability to sit most of the time with some bending and reaching.
● Ability to stand, walk, and bend periodically.
● Ability to engage in repetitive movement of wrists, hands, and fingers – typing and/or
● Ability to work frequently at close visual range (i.e. preparing and analyzing data and
figures, accounting, transcription, computer terminal, extensive reading).
● Ability to receive and respond to oral communication.
● Ability to exert up to 50 pounds of force to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
● Noise level in the work environment is moderate to occasionally loud (examples: business
office with computers and printers, light to moderate traffic, human voices).
● Standard office equipment generally used includes:
● Personal Computer (monitor, keyboard, and mouse) or Tablet
● Printer/Photocopy Machine
● Fax Machine
● Will be required to operate a motor vehicle during the course of duties.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by submitting: the completed online application, submit a cover letter, resume, three professional references.
Contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.