The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering is one of eight academic departments in the Bagley College of Engineering. The Department offers ABET-accredited undergraduate programs in Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering, which the latter is jointly offered with the Department of Computer Science and Engineering. It also offers graduate studies leading to M.S. and Ph.D. degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering, both on campus and as distance learning. These programs are offered in both Starkville and Gulf Coast campuses. The Department is composed of 540 undergraduates, 110 graduate students, 22 faculty members, and 9 staff members. Research expenditures total approximately $12 million annually. Faculty members have developed a strong research program spanning the areas of computer systems, microelectronics, communications, electromagnetics, signal processing, machine learning, remote sensing, power, controls, and high voltage. The Department houses the largest university operated high voltage laboratory in North America. Additionally, faculty in the department are active in many University research centers (www.research.msstate.edu/ci/).
Area of Specialization:
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Anticipated Appointment Date:
January 1, 2020
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides vision and leadership for nationally recognized education and research programs.
- Provides leadership and mentoring to all faculty, staff, and students.
- Responsible for overall administration of faculty and support staff activities.
- Responsible for recruitment of a diverse community of students, faculty, and support staff.
- Maintains and participates actively in ongoing departmental research program and seeks new areas of research funding.
- Conducts research leading to scholarly publications.
- Participates in fundraising activities, including solicitation of gifts for scholarships, professorships, chairs, etc.
- Works with the Dean of the Bagley College of Engineering and university administration in establishing goals and objectives for the college, department, and in meeting the university missions of teaching, research, and service.
- Serves as a liaison with faculty, administrators, alumni, students, and community.
- Academic responsibilities include planning, reviewing, and updating the curriculum, academic programs, and course content.
- Personnel responsibilities include promotion and tenure, performance evaluation, and workload management.
- Fiscal responsibilities include preparing and overseeing departmental budget and other budgets for research funding.
The successful candidate must hold an earned doctorate in Electrical and Computer Engineering or a closely related field, must qualify for the rank of professor with tenure, and as such must have earned national recognition by a distinguished record of accomplishments in electrical and computer engineering education and research. A record of scholarly publications in archival literature, funded research, and significant teaching experience are required. Demonstrated success and leadership in obtaining and executing government and industrial research grants and contracts are expected. In addition, previous experience in successful leadership in an academic unit is desirable.
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
The successful Department Head will provide:
1. Vision and leadership for nationally recognized education and research programs,
2. Exceptional academic and administrative skills,
3. A strong commitment to faculty recruitment and development, and
4. A strong commitment to promoting diversity.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by submitting a cover letter outlining your experience and vision for this position, a curriculum vitae, and the names and contact information of at least three professional references. Screening of candidates will begin October 15, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Inquiries and nominations should be directed to Dr. Shahram Rahimi, Department Head of Computer Science and Engineering and Search Committee Chair (email@example.com or 662.325.7450).
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.