Rank and salary are commensurate with education and/or experience.
This is a full time, regular position located at the National Center for Alluvial Aquifer Research within the Delta Research and Extension Center in Stoneville, MS.
Area of Specialization:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Participate in organizing and facilitating in-person Extension events such as field days and workshops.
2. Participate in building relationships with, soliciting input from, and disseminating science based Extension information to growers, industry, government, and the general public through multiple media formats.
3. Lead in making preparations for research studies by ordering and fabricating necessary supplies, coordinating with collaborators and the DREC farm management team, and selecting suitable sites and participants.
4. Participate in performing research studies by installing, operating, and performing basic repair/maintenance on machinery, sensor systems, irrigation systems, and other relevant equipment.
5. Participate in generating research results by collecting plant/soil/water samples, using agricultural/environmental sensors and other measurement devices, and organizing data.
6. Lead in ensuring the safety and orderliness of items and spaces under the inventory of the supervisor.
7. Lead in supervising and mentoring staff/student workers, interns, and volunteers as assigned by the supervisor.
8. Fulfill other duties and responsibilities that benefit irrigation engineering Extension and research as determined by the supervisor.
The individual must have earned a bachelor’s or graduate degree in biological engineering, agricultural engineering technology, agronomy, environmental science, or a closely related field by the appointment date. The individual must possess knowledge of and hands on experience with field crop production and the associated machinery. The individual must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and be ready to travel for Extension and research activities occasionally—mostly day trips within the Mississippi Delta but also overnight trips beyond. The individual must be dependable, self-motivated, eager to learn, and committed to high quality output. The individual must be capable of and willing to work independently without constant direction and contributing as a cooperative and supportive team player. Despite efforts to minimize undesirable conditions as much as feasible, the individual must expect and be able to tolerate extreme weather, overtime work, work outside of normal business hours, exposure to common farm allergens, and physical lifting not exceeding 50 pounds.
The ideal candidate possesses knowledge of and hands on experience with irrigation, irrigation Extension/research, and Mid-South irrigated agriculture. The ideal candidate is passionate about engaging with Extension clientele and improving the profitability and sustainability of irrigation in the Mississippi Delta. The ideal candidate has demonstrated success in supervisory, managerial, and coordination roles during previous employment. The ideal candidate is comfortable with computer use and competent in at least one office productivity suite (e.g., Microsoft Office, Google G Suite). The ideal candidate is interested in gaining relevant professional certifications and/or pursuing a graduate degree in an irrigation related field at Mississippi State University while serving in this Extension/Research Associate position.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at https://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach 1) a cover letter addressing the aforementioned qualifications, 2) a current resume or curriculum vitae, 3) unofficial transcript(s) of relevant college level education, and 4) a list containing the names and current contact information of three professional references. Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online. The anticipated appointment date is January 1st, 2020.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.