Job no: 499407
Position type: Full-Time 12-Month
Department: 520200 - Butler Guest House & Conf Housing
Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS
Categories: Support Staff
Position Open Date:
Position close Date:
Salary Grade/Minimum Salary:
The Department of Housing and Residence Life strives to create a "home away from home" where students are individually and collectively challenged and supported in the journey to become mature, contributing citizens in a global community.
In support of the mission of Mississippi State University and the Division of Student Affairs, the Department of Housing and Residence Life cultivates an on-campus environment that promotes student success, engages students through intentional interactions, and challenges them to learn and grow beyond the classroom.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs a wide variety of clerical duties which could be confidential in nature; operates personal computer to perform basic to complex typing assignments to include: enter data, draft, edit, revise, and print letters, tables, reports, and other materials.
- May greet and direct visitors, when appropriate; resolve routine administrative problems and answer inquiries concerning activities and operations of department/division.
- May answer telephone, route calls, take messages, and provide general information.
- Performs a range of staff and/or operational support activities; may serve as a liaison with other departments on basic administrative and/or operational matters.
- May establish, maintain, and updates files, databases, records, and/or other documents; develops and maintains data, and performs routine analyses and calculations in the processing of data for recurring internal reports.
- May sort, screen, and distribute incoming and outgoing mail; drafts or prepares responses to routine inquiries; prepares photocopies and facsimiles, and operates a variety of office equipment.
- May arrange meetings and conferences, schedules interviews and appointments, and perform other duties related to maintaining one or more individual schedules; makes travel and lodging arrangements, either directly or through travel agencies.
- May order, stock, and distribute office supplies.
- Performs basic, routine bookkeeping functions, which may involve simple billing and cash receipt activities.
- May instruct and oversee the activities of student employees performing the same type of work.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma
Experience (yrs.): Two to four years Clerical or office setting
Education may be substituted for experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Organizing and coordinating skills. Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information. Ability to perform simple accounting procedures. Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures. Receptionist skills. Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments. Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials. Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control. Skill in the use of operating basic office equipment. Records maintenance skills. Word processing and/or data entry skills. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
* Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
* No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
* No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
Applications must be submitted through the Human Resources Management Website at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu by completing the online application and attaching a cover letter and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Advertised: Central Daylight Time
Applications close: Central Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend