The Department of Art is NASAD accredited and located within the College of Architecture, Art, and Design. It has approximately 300 Art Majors, 20 full-time faculty and offers the BFA degree with concentrations in Fine Art, Graphic Design, and Photography. Information about the department is available at http://caad.msstate.edu
Area of Specialization:
Web and Interactive Design
Anticipated Appointment Date:
August 16, 2020
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach Web Design and Multimedia courses in the BFA Graphic Design concentration.
- Teach a 3/3 course load in the Graphic Design area.
- Work with the other Graphic Design faculty to oversee curriculum and portfolio review.
- Maintain an active body of research or creative activities.
- Advise graphic design students.
- Committee service as well as other service opportunities at the department, college, and university level.
- M.F.A. or equivalent terminal degree with an emphasis in Graphic Design, Web Design, Interactive Media or related field.
- Evidence of teaching experience and/or potential.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to teach foundational web design, coding (HTML/CSS), and UI/UX principles through responsive website design.
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
-Professional experience in graphic design in relation to interactive media, user experience design (UI/UX) and web technologies.
-Ability to teach the principles of UI/UX through a variety of media/platforms (like app design).
-Technical proficiency with current digital media applications including Adobe Creative Suite on the Macintosh OS X platform.
-Strong understanding of typography and contemporary graphic design theory and practice as well as the ability to teach a variety of graphic design courses.
-Excellent personal and collaborative skills.
-Ability to inspire students and colleagues to perform at a high level.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Minimal physical effort and mobility required.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter, current resume or curriculum vitae, and the complete contact information for at least three professional references.
All applicants must provide:
-One-page statement of teaching philosophy.
-20 image PDF of applicant’s work clearly labeled with technique, size, year
-20 image PDF of student work clearly labeled with technique, size, year.
-Complete contact information for at least three professional references.
Review of applications will begin on January 1, 2020, and will continue until the position is filled.
Any communication about this position should be sent to:
Critz Campbell, Head,
Department of Art,
P.O. Box 5182,
Mississippi State University,
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.