Salary Grade: 09
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Poultry Science Department currently houses approximately 70 undergraduate students, 17 graduate students, and 11 faculty. The Department conducts teaching, research and Extension activities on the 55 acre Poultry Research Unit on the MSU South Farm, which includes facilities for research with ~5000 broilers, ~24,000 eggs/embryos, and ~3,000 layers. In addition, two tunnel research houses nearby house ~40,000 broilers. Proximity to and a strong working relationships with commercial poultry operations in the Southeast will increase research and extension opportunities for the successful candidate. The Department has recently renovated the industry-relevant processing plant, with assistance from an industry advisory board that has met quarterly for the past 18 months. We will move into a new ~29,000 ft2 Poultry Science Building in Spring of 2020. The Department offers Bachelors of Science degrees with concentrations in Applied Poultry Management and Science and Pre-Vet Science. Both M.S. and Ph.D. degrees are offered from within the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences in Poultry Science.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Performs a wide variety of clerical duties which could be confidential in nature; operates personal computer to perform basic to complex typing assignments to include: enter data, draft, edit, revise, and print letters, tables, reports, and other materials.
2. May greet and direct visitors, when appropriate; resolve routine administrative problems and answer inquiries concerning activities and operations of department/division.
3. May answer telephone, route calls, take messages, and provide general information.
4. Performs a range of staff and/or operational support activities; may serve as a liaison with other departments on basic administrative and/or operational matters.
5. May establish, maintain, and updates files, databases, records, and/or other documents; develops and maintains data, and performs routine analyses and calculations in the processing of data for recurring internal reports.
6. May sort, screen, and distribute incoming and outgoing mail; drafts or prepares responses to routine inquiries; prepares photocopies and facsimiles, and operates a variety of office equipment.
7. May arrange meetings and conferences, schedules interviews and appointments, and perform other duties related to maintaining one or more individual schedules; makes travel and lodging arrangements, either directly or through travel agencies.
8. May order, stock, and distribute office supplies.
9. Performs basic, routine bookkeeping functions, which may involve simple billing and cash receipt activities.
10. May instruct and oversee the activities of student employees performing the same type of work.
11. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma
Experience (yrs.): Two to four years Clerical or office setting
Education may be substituted for experience.
Associate's or Bachelor's degree preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Organizing and coordinating skills. Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information. Ability to perform simple accounting procedures. Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures. Receptionist skills. Ability to maintain calendars and schedule appointments. Ability to create, compose, and edit written materials. Knowledge of supplies, equipment, and/or services ordering and inventory control. Skill in the use of operating basic office equipment. Records maintenance skills. Word processing and/or data entry skills. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
* Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
* No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
* No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu by submitting: the completed online application, submit a cover letter, resume, three professional references. Any social security numbers included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
Position is contingent upon continued availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.