Salary Grade: 13
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, schedule, and evaluate all personal trainers, Bulldog X instructors, fitness floor staff, and two fitness graduate assistants. This includes developing in-services and trainings; discipline and counsel as needed; terminate when necessary. Maintain accurate records for all fitness staff members including training records and counseling reports.
- Coordinate fitness programming: Research, plan, market, manage and implement quality fitness programs, activities, and special events for the university community that support the department's mission.
- Maintain safe and clean fitness and weight room areas. Assist with equipment purchases.
- Operate programs within assigned budget constraints; maintain accurate records of income and expenses.
- Maintain accurate records and reports of the day-to-day operation of the weight room including maintenance schedules, repairs, and daily safety inspections, and also create monthly and annual reports for fitness programs.
- Attend all departmental and divisional meetings.
- Liaise with the department's risk manager in implementing risk management policies and procedures.
- Assist the Associate Director of University Recreation with short- and long-range planning for all areas of the department.
- Attend conferences, seminars, and meetings as permitted for professional development.
- Perform additional duties as requested by the Director
Bachelor's Degree in Recreational Sports Administration, Physical Education, or closely related field.
2 years experience in management of a comprehensive fitness facility and equipment, teaching, programming, marketing, and scheduling group exercise classes.
Master's Degree Preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Group Fitness Instructor, First Aid & CPR certification required; AFAA, ACE or comparable
2. Personal Training certification preferred; AFAA, ACE or comparable
3. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
4. Proficient in written and oral communication skills and utilization of computers
5. Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments
6. Employee development and performance management skills
7. Ability to foster a positive and cooperative work environment
8. Ability to plan, organize, and implement promotional programs and events
9. Ability to develop a budget and conduct programming within budget parameters
10. Ability to comply with all policies and regulations of Mississippi State University and enforce policies that apply to University Recreation programs and services
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
Must be able to lead and cue participants through safe and effective strength training, conditioning, and group exercise workouts.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online and attach a cover letter and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.