Salary Grade: 16
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manages the daily financial activities of the unit, which include budget preparation and control, accounting, purchasing, and business planning and management; ensures compliance with university policies and procedures, state, and federal regulations. May approve payments of purchases for sub-units.
2. Prepares budget requests, operating budgets, and budget revisions as required.
3. Coordinates the preparation of reports of disbursements, special analyses, and information reports for management; presents recommendations for changes and/or improvements, monetary control, and adherence to budgets.
4. Coordinates, designs, and implements internal financial reporting systems, financial controls, and management information systems in coordination with the automated financial reporting systems of the university.
5. Participates in development, implementation and maintenance of policies, objectives, short-and long-range planning; develops and implements projects and programs to assist in accomplishment of established goals.
6. Audits financial records for accuracy, availability of funds, and conformance to university and departmental policies and procedures.
7. Coordinates and processes all personnel actions.
8. Develops and implements systems to maintain records on employees, equipment inventories, and compliance activities.
9. May supervise personnel, which includes work allocation, training, and problem resolution; evaluates performance and makes recommendations for personnel actions; motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
10. May evaluate and/or negotiate contracts for the purchase of services in coordination with the university purchasing department.
11. May manage cash, cash-related receipts, accounts receivable and credit and collection functions, ensuring timely processing of billings, payments, and collection of program revenue.
12. May coordinate financial aspects of research proposals, contracts, and sub-contracts, including the development of budget, proposal preparation, and adherence to funding requirements; serves as a liaison with university administrators, state, federal, and private funding sources.
13. May represent the organization at various community and/or business meetings; promotes existing and new programs and/or policies.
14. Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor's degree in Business , Accounting, or related field.
2. Three years experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities listed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Ability to supervise and train staff, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments. Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities. Ability to foster a cooperative work environment. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. Knowledge of customer service principles, techniques, systems, and standards. Skill in budget management. Knowledge of faculty and/or staff hiring procedures. Knowledge and understanding of business management principles and practices. Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications. Knowledge and understanding of ProCard policies and procedures. Skill using BANNER system. Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques. Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• No or very limited physical effort required.
Instructions for Applying:
Applicants must apply online and attach a cover letter and resume that includes the complete contact information for at least three references.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.